Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mmervenne

Spanish or English Selectable on Panelview

13 posts in this topic

Hello all, I will be using a SLC 5/05 with a Panelview 600. What I want to do is have a button on the panelview that will toggle button descriptions etc. between spanish and English. I am looking at moving strings in from the PLC, depending on the state of the English/Spanish button. I was looking at the imbedded variables to change button descriptions. Has anyone done this or have a better idea? Thanks Mike

Are we talking about a Standard Panelview or a Panelview Plus? Standard Panelview - Go to Application Settings, Terminal Setup and select multiple language support Create a selector with the write tag of @Write_CurrentLang. Make your tag selection English with a value of 4 and Spanish with a value of 3. This will switch the Panelviews language for items including the text, the numeric keypad and errors Go to view, language, and select the language you want to edit. Make you screens as you normally would The go back the view, language, and select the next language you want to edit. Your screen will look exactly the same. Now change your descriptions to the language you have selected. Now go to the view, language and select your original language. You will see the descriptions in that language now. Just remember when you add an object, you need to put your decription in the language you have selected, then switch to the other language and put the description in the second language

Thanks, thats a hell of alot easier. Thats exactly what i was looking for.

Yes much easier than that russian job I did. It is quite a bit harder when the Panelview doesn't have full font support for the cyrillic character set.

Panelview Plus multiple language support is available http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...amp;p_topview=1

It doesn't work completely. The technote even says so. Don't use this method. If you must use the Panelview Plus in a language switching application write your own

its a RSView Machine Edition 4.0 - Language Switching tutorial updated on 11/12/2006

I know. It doesn't work that great.

I sent a Panel View Plus 600 to Russia. I actually did the language conversion and then switched between the languages with a soft button. When the button was selected to Russian I simply changed the other menu buttons to call up the Russian language pages I made. I actually had to create two pages of graphics for every one intended page. I haven't used the standard Panel Views for a couple of years and all of those applications were at a GM Plant. They didn't have a language setup for Cajun!

ME 5.0 (CPR9) will have Language switching support for alarms, information messages and local messages. Then we won't have to use the workaround written in the tech note.

Great. Thanks for the heads up TW

I do this a lot on standard panelviews on machinery I build for Mexico. I do all my text in English, then copy & paste from the text editor to an Excel Sheet and have an engineer at my customer create the spanglish text. He emails me that back and I put it back in the text editor. It works great (except when a 4 character word in english needs 10 characters in spanish) When I am at the customer's plant, I notice the operators toggling between the english and spanish screens to learn the english words for their process. I have avoided using PV+ in my applications there until this works on them.

Know what you mean. Try taking existing Panelview programs and the charactors going from 4 letters to 10 letters. We pretty much had to rewrite the screens and the "old" operators complained because of the rearranging