Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gravitar

Kids, don't try this at home...

6 posts in this topic

http://glumbert.com/media/electrofinger It's hard to believe that this guy can control his muscles and his heart still beats while he's practicing his "skills"!

I'm not sure exactly what he is doing at the TV set, but using electrostatic Van de Graff generators people can litterally throw lightning bolts. The electricity flows around the body, not thru it. The skin essentially becomes a faraday cage. Notice that he is standing on an insulator in the video. There are a number of magicians and similar showmen who use them - they usually perform on a glass plate. But using a TV set coil would be exceptionally dangerous. Maybe he has something else rigged in there.

I used to work in a TV Tube manufacturing plant. If he is charging off the anode he is using 25 to 30 KV at 1 ma or less. Arm to arm poses less risk than out the feet or knees. I took a hit once in both arms and out the knees. You can survive, but it does mess with your heart. Not for the faint of heart. Seriously - Do not try at home.

agreed it's not fun... i used to repair TVs and got few zapps including running HV from screen cap he is holding (some 28kV). touching the port on the CRT where cap used to be can give a solid sting but running HV end hurts far more unless you are properly isolated of course (you still feel it). fortunately it's current limited or TV repair trade would be dead even sooner and ...literally.

Do not hold onto the screwdriver blade when dis-charging the 2nd anode. OUCH

That explains you avatar Bob...