Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mmervenne

SLC 5/05 with a GE Panelmate

7 posts in this topic

To cut costs on a job we are going to try to use a GE Panelmate HMI with a AB SLC 5/05. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on how i would go about this. Thanks Mike

Are you sure it's a GE PanelMate and not a Cutler Hammer PanelMate? PanleMates are wonderful IMHO. You can master the HMI programming software in a day or two with some good examples to follow. I have only used them on RIO and DH+ networks, so I cannot testify to their connectivity with a 5/05.

My Mistake, it is a GE Quickpanel. I would like to communicate through ethernet. I am just not sure how the addressing would work.

According to the GE website, the Quick Panel ethernet version supports Allen-Bradley Ethernet IP. I'm guessing you have to load the correct driver, and then build a polling table using standard AB addressing.

ew....I just had BLOCK TRANSFER flash backs.....

If I am not mistaken the history goes as follows: GE Quick Panel child of GE-TCP Quick Panel GE-TCP Quick Panel child of TCP {Total Control Products Chicago IL} Quick Panel TCP Quick Panel is child of Digital Proface Touch Screen. As I recall the TCP Quick paenl with AB driver accessed the PLC similiar to the method that Panelviews use. No block transfers or translation tables needed. A lot will depend on what software you are programming the Quick Panel with?

I will be using Proficy Machine Edition ver.5.5. I think it is going to work, i need to test it out monday morning. Although, I plan on communicating with strictly ethernet and i have heard of some bugs with the quickpanels. I am going to be accessing the quickpanel through our network. I have heard of communication lockups with quickpanels, when accessing across networks. Thanks Mike