Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crsgab

Ultra 3000i application

11 posts in this topic

Hello: We have a machine with a Micrologix 1100 series A with ethernet , a panel view plus 600 and one Ultra 3000i drive 2098 DSD HV030X , the drive is being used on indexing mode , on this way the PLC just send the start signal and the drive has the distances to advance on the process, the machine is used to make some drills on pieces at a programmed depth. The big issue rigth now is that every time that we need to adjust the depth I have to connect to the drive using Ultraware and change the distance to advance on the drive , this takes time as I have to support another areas and we have a lot of production, we can't afford to have stopped the machine when one adjusment is needed. I'm looking for options in order to improve this machine , the drive (because of the model) seems to work on devicenet but I don't see the conector on the drive , I just see the feedback, I/O and serial comm conectors. Is there a way to use the serial port to send the distance to move to the servo using the PLC ? we have another machines with a different aplications that use a SLC with a stepper card to control Ultraware drives , but I'm not sure if they are using the same model for the drive. Your comments will be apreciated Regards

Do you promise it's just one indexing position value ? PROMISE ? The serial port on an Ultra 3000i motion controller uses a unique protocol called "Ultra Host Protocol" that it inherited from its ancestors in the Electrocraft business. That's the language that Ultraware uses to communicate with the controller. It's fairly simple and ASCII based. I have been involved in several projects where the customer learned about this protocol and decided that his PanelView was going to download profiles and recipes and monitor status and positions and..... the customer ended up spending months attempting to get it to work, when I could have done it all over DeviceNet for a couple hundred more dollars in hardware. Since you only need to change one parameter in the drive, I think it's best to use the serial port of the MicroLogix (as long as that's not the way it is connected to the PanelView) to send an Ultra Host Protocol command to the drive using the ASCII instruction set in the MicroLogix. The Ultra Host Protocol is described in Publication 2098-RM003 http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...rm003_-en-p.pdf

Well , the drive has 5 index positions: 1.- Home 2.- Approach 95% of full depth 3.- Go back 0.005" for relief of the tool 4.- Final depth 5.- Ready for next cycle ( just a security position for rotation of one indexing table) I have changed the 100% of the times just the final depth as the cutter tools always have the same length , so I PROMISE I will only change one indexing value !!! , I have read your comments on topics related to Ultra 3000 and I thougth the best way was using devicenet but as I said I don't find any devicenet conector on this drive or do I have to purchase the devicenet module for this drive? But I will work on your suggestion , to connect the micrologix to ultra 3000 do I need a null modem cable? Thanks for your help Best regards

If you get tired of writing the serial code in the PLC, and need more functionality than changing one or two values, you might look into this handy little unit: http://www.quartechcorp.com/products.htm Click on the 9112 series. They have sample applications for DF1 to Ultra 3000.

I have a question for you, the Micrologix is comunicating over ethernet with the panel view plus , so I only have a free serial port , does it interfere the 9112 with the panel view ? Regards

Using the Quartech unit on the serial port won't interfere with the Ethernet port of the MicroLogix 1100. The Quartech interface costs more for the hardware (otherwise you just need a cable), but will lower your programming effort. For one parameter, I would use the serial port. For many, I'd get the Quartech. Your comfort with the MicroLogix ASCII instruction set may determine your approach.

Ken or Paul how do you calculate the Checksum? I have a customer that has 10~12 of these BRU protocol unit and they want to get 1 standard touchscreen. I have only found a hand full of screens that will talk BRU and non of them are the RedLion G3 that I want to use.

Starts on page C-3 follow the examples after the explanation. After you write it out a few times you should get the hang of it http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...rm003_-en-p.pdf EDIT - Actually this is for the Ultra 3000, not sure the 3000i is the same

Thanks TW, I will have to look at it in the morning. No time to read at midnight have to drive and send replies.

While we've got all the Electrocraft/AB experts together: Anyone have details of the "host mode communication protocol" for a BRU 200. Is Ultra Host Protocol mentioned above the same? The manual states that this can be used to "save and load the entire personality module" (which is what I would like to attempt). Should I start a new thread?

I should have started a new thread sorry for highjacking / side tripping this one. I have a document on saving from NVRAM. I will find it and post it in the new thread.