From the brief time we had with pre-release versions, some thoughts on GX works 2 (keep in mind that i'm only used to Gx Developer, not IEC):
- better implementation of the intelligent function modules, including the intelligent function module monitor. Far more user friendly than in gx dev
- windows environment (at last!) with multiple windows open, dockable, movable,... feels like a modern programming environment. Drag and drop, environment preferences (fonts, colors,...)... good work there
- watch windows: very useful for monitoring
- mixing of 3 different languages in one project possible (gx ladder, iec ladder, structured text)
- the gxdev ladder has been improved (things like easy edit with CTRL+cursors, the editor guessing what you want to do, dropdown with instructions, dropdown with label names...). Again, good work.
- multiple global label lists: ability to divide global labels lists into smaller, more manageable lists
- anything within a project can be copied easily to another project (things like plc parameters, pou's,...). Just copy and paste
- ability to open a project as read only
- device memory has been reworked: custom dwr's,...
- very neat library implentation, with the ability to put structured datatypes, global labels and such within a library. Once imported into a project, everything within the library becomes available within the project.
- cross reference (never used it in gx developer)
- program feels quite fast
- ability to make and save different connection setup's to the plc (usb, rs232, ethernet,...). Very useful
There are probably others i forgot.
- only one gx dev ladder can be assigned to one task and one task to one program file. In other words, the limitation to divide gx dev ladder into smaller chuncks is exactly the same as in gx developer. Gx dev programs can only be divided into program files. Program files = loss of steps (due to 512 byte chunks of memory size for each program file) + more difficult to manage in the plc. Please Mitsubishi, fix this and allow more gxdev ladders into one task (as with the iec ladder)! Let the compiler join them together and put an END in.
- using labels, the instruction size in gx dev ladder becomes wider which means you can't put much code into one line (a line is still limited to 11 contacts wide). Give us the ability to use more contacts per line or divide the label name into two lines.
- profibus is still unknow as intelligent function module.
- gx dev ladder: still no way to document the code more. I understand the 64 char limit but personally, i have never written any statements to the plc. I don't see the use. Just get rid of that and do it like the iec ladder
- gx dev ladder: no multiple undo's
Edited by Mitsu, 09 September 2009 - 03:32 AM.