PenneyInstruments

Omron Learning Curve - DATA TYPES

5 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

Recently getting into Omron and I am wishing to pursue this type of PLC and software for a staple in my career. I have recently just graduated from a program involving PLC mainly Allen Bradley and one thing I have to say is that while making the transition from AB to Omron, the main difficulty I have had was with data types, specifically BCD, UINT, and CHANNEL. I am currently using the CX Programmer software for a few PID loops and they are causing me some great difficulty because normally I would just simply enter in all my values into a huge PID block in AB but that is not the case when it comes to CX-Programmer. Can anyone point me in the right direction of some manuals or e-learning places so I can quickly get a grasp on this so I can move ahead with the code. It is frustrating when you know how to do something and you just can't figure out how to put it into a software you aren't familiar with.

Thanks for your help

PenneyInstruments,

Data types tend to be one of the most confusing issues with Omron.  These were added about 10 years ago. 

Basically the data type allows the value to be displayed and entered in a format that is easier for us to read.

The plc deals with everything in HEX format.

Regarding the PID instruction, below is a link to the current Instruction Reference manual.  Section 1-3 reviews data types.

PID instruction is a Data Control Instruction and is on pdf page 678.  The manual indicates the expected data types and valid range for the value.

C-Series Instruction Reference Manual

Probably not the information you were hoping for, but this would be the place to start.

Anything helps! I am going to start ask a local Omron dealer for some help. I will start by reading this manual though. Thanks!

BCD isn't an Omron thing, it has been in automation for decades.  It uses a group of 4 bits to represent a number 0-9.  A word in BCD will only store 0000-9999.  Each digit takes 4 bits.  This was common decades ago for things like thumbwheel switches and numeric displays in the days before the touch screen.

UINT is also not an Omron thing.  Unsigned integer, AB had them too.  Simply means the integer value stored in the word does NOT have a sign bit, so it's 0-65535 instead of -32768 to 32767.

CHANNEL is another name for word, 16 bit HEX value.

It's all in how the 16 ones and zeros get interpreted.

The takeaway from above:

The PLC deals with everything in HEX format. It's all in how the 16 ones and zeros get interpreted and displayed.                                                    .