Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jerrycat

What Plc Network

16 posts in this topic

I have to get data out of 6 Fx2n and 6 Omron CPM1a plc montly. I.m thinking of conecting these PLC in some kind of network and have the data that i need transfer to a pc where it can be process. There is no need for the PLC's to communicate with each other. what is the best network that i can choose???

I guess you don't need anything speedy and you are logging the data in D and DM memory area. Soooo. A dirty way to do this would be to use 2 serial ports some mechanical relays and some of the brands specific converters. Built yourself a small VB app or even better use a free SCADA Demo package to drive them links (Paragon TNT works for 3 hours at a time and Citech for 30 minutes), wich is long enough for your douwnload. Get the picture?

The FX2N will do RS485 1:n network. I'm pretty sure Omron does the same but Jay will know more about it.

For the Omron network two options available... buy 6 of CPM1-CIF11 and at the computer end a RS422 to RS485 serial convertor.... Alternatively buy 6 CPM1-CIF01 (which provide a RS232 port) and seven RS232 to RS485/RS422 convertors... Regards to the VB program there is a sample VB program in the Omron download section. Alternatively do as Pierre says and download the demo SCADA versions.... I would keep the networks seperate....One for Omron , One for Mitsubishi... Oh thought of another alternative... for the Omrons buy six CPM1-CIF01 and six RS232 to ethernet convertors you could also buy six RS232 to ethernet convertors (such a the units from Advantech or Moxa) this way you could have one network and talk to them all on the same network...

While there's no need to communicate PLC to PLC, so why make a network!!! For a network you need to buy communication modules. For communication you can use for Mitsubishi the programmers port and communicate directly to a serial port on the PC. Use a free copy of Citect to collect the data. Program Citect to write the data into excel and you can analyze you're data. Instead of the network use a MOXA N-port server to have extra com ports to you're PC. I think this is a cheaper way than a network. succes

I think i will go for the multidrop -network because the PLC as not to far from each other about 5 meter apart. if i have to wire all the PLC's to a cental station pc asyou stated (FNMdejong) it wil cost me lot of wiring work. i think is wise to connect the plc's in a network and i have one wire or in this case two that go to the pc one from the omron network and one for the mitsubishi plc's. i have all the information of conneting the FX2N plc's in a multidrop network, but it really hard for me the find information on the Omron PlC's. Where can i find such information(website).

Have you tried the Omron website ? www.omron.com from which you can find regional websites ? eg The USA is www.oeiweb.omron.com In Australia www.omron.com.au On these sites you can generally find all of the omron manuals. YOu would be looking for the operation and programming manuals for the CPM1/A/2A etc... In regards to how to set it up as i said before because it is a multi drop network you The CPM1CIF11 is an RS422 convertor to Omron Peripheral port. Therefore you need to convert the multidrop network of 422 back to RS232, hence the extra convertor required at the PC end. You will then have to set the node number up on each of the Omron PLCs. In a range from 0 to 31. ( in your case i would use 1,2,3,4,5,6 respectively as they connect into the network purly for simplicity reasons).

Thanks for the link. Because i,m living i a country (Suriname) where we speak dutch , i was browsing the site www.omron.nl looking to find the information i needed. yesterday i realized that is not always the best way. i went to the regional site of the USA, and my problem was almost solved. What i can seem to find on the omron site is the manual for the CPM1CIF11 and the CPM1CIF01. where can i find these manual on the net.

i didn't know i was not log in on the previous post

The following information is found in the Operation manual for the CPM1A...

Example connection using Omron old type convertor....... I suggest to use a third part one at the PC end such as the ADAM 4520...... Or use the new Omron K3SC.....

Can i use a PCI card with dual RS422/RS485 port, in this case i will avoid using the converter for the RS232 port. This option is also cheaper??? i think i will be o.k for the Omron, but will it work with the Mitsubishi or must i use their converter

there no need to answer the last question anymore the answer is yes

I guess you have settled for PC with multiport card and no converters? That should be just fine with Mitsubishi but you might have hard time finding connector and pinout info on the peripheral port of the Omron PLC (I know I did). Depending on available time for the project and information you already have, (or lack of both) it could be simpler to forget it and simply use CIF converters.

thanks for the advise, i will use the converters for the Oron PLC's