Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smoke

What would you do?

21 posts in this topic

I am at a crossroads right now. I work in the automotive supply industry everything here is top of the line. all new apps include CLX with a L61 processor, Devicenet to point IO, VersaView CE 1000 HMI's etc. Lots of Vision here also Cognex, DVT, Acuity, and Keyence. The company could move to Mexico and/or China in a few years some of it has already. It is very clean and my laptop is upgraded every 2-3 years. It is a good place to work. I have been offered a job at a steel company they have SLC's and mostly PanelViews some Redlion its poorly lit, dirty and noisy, people that work there like there job. The pay is a 30% increase. What would you do?

Going to a steel company is good and bad. It all depends of which steel company. Some are booming, others are dieing. Care to mention the company name? PM me if you want my opinion but don't want to publicly say. Where is it located?

The company is Nucor in Utah.

but are these YOUR kind of people? ... how do you know that they like it there? ... how many of them have you met and talked with - in detail? ... first carefully consider the angles that TW brought up ... if that works out ok, then consider whether or not you'll be able to walk out of the plant each day and then go do something (fresh air, etc.) that you enjoy doing ... so what else is available in the area BESIDES the work place? ... do you have a family? ... if so, how will they react to the change? ... plan of attack: can you swing a vacation trip and just "hang out" in the area for a few days? ... maybe that would be a good opportunity to do your "homework" ... good luck ...

Nucor is a good solid company, the largest in the US, and still a progressive steel manufacturer though not the most advanced. There is another on that will probably take the top spot from them in the next 10 years but they will still be around. Now as far as your decision, I am not one to give you advice. You can poke around my site, TW Controls for a better understanding of why. There are many variables that must be taken into account. Family, stablility, and hours that must be put in for the company. There is no right or wrong answer. My signiture tells you where I stand. One personal note about steel mills. there a bit different environment than the automotive industry you are used to. Even the best ones are hot and dirty. The ones with the best safety record have accidents. Even if your doing control work there is a good chance that eventually you will get burnt. That is why the pay is so much higher. Good luck with your decision

30% is hard to pass up. I have no direct experience in steel plants but one vendor I know was telling me that new line start-ups are long and grueling FWIW; it could have been BS too. What are your advancement oppurtunities at the current employer and at Nucor?

I know many think of a steel mill employee as this big guy with a lunch box that could feed the rest of us for a week but things have changed. Steel production technology is getting better by leaps and bounds. If it is one of the more progressive companies and it is a new line then yes, the startups can be long and grueling because there is a good chance it has never been done exactly the same before.

I have some experience at this steel mill already I wouldn't be going in blind. It's sort of a going from a more high end (equipment wise) cushy job to a bit of a nasty one with older stuff. As far as advancement I am doing exactly what I want to be doing. I have played the boss before and cant say I like it at all.

Well Smoke, I don't know where you live currently, but I always thought Utah would be nicer to live than where I live now. Utah is on my list of future visits for relocation considerations.

I was going to ask where he lived, I couldn't imagine much automotive industry in Utah but I didn't know

I really like the pic that TW posted of his home area. Here is a pic my 10 year old daughter took of a place near my home.

That's beautiful. So would you have to relocate?

No the company I am at now is only 1 mile from the Nucor.

Smoke, check your PMs. There is a major automotive parts manufacturer not far from where I am. I've heard rumors that they may be relocating off shore. So I'm wondering if that is the company Smoke works for. There is a lot of high tech manufacturing in northern Utah so its a good place to be in the automation business. Utah is a nice place to live. I am originally from AZ but landed a job here after college so my wife and I built a home here, liked it, and stayed. Crime is low, the communities are clean, the people are nice, the summers aren't too hot, the winters aren't too cold, the mountains are nice, the snow perfect for skiing, and there's enough lakes for summer fun. Here is a picture of what I can see out my office windows. About the middle of the picture on the left hand edge you can make out part of one of the buildings that is a part of our manufacturing complex. Most of it is not in the picture. Just outside the picture is a river and we are right on the banks. Edited by Alaric

I hate steel mill start ups. They take too long. Steel mill startups seem to be unnecesarily long. There is too much time spent waiting for something to happen. Some if it I believe is that the project management is poor. Some of it is due to the fact that good people get burned out so there are always rookies firguring out to make the equipment run. I have experience with other industries like the saw mill industry. Start ups go much faster there. One startup I got the motion controller tuned and running and went back to the office. Two months later I was called to go out when the machine was being started up for the first time. I didn't make any changes to the motion controller. The only thing I did was advise the PLC programmer on some PID tuning and update rates. I think in both cases I was on site for two days. How hot the mill is depends on whether you are in the hot mill or in the downline final processing. I have worked in both places. I stayed in the computer room as much as possible. I have been in aluminum plants that are the dirty places ever. Grease everywhere, it even drips from the ceiling because of the lubricants that are mixed in the water that boils away and covers everything. It is awful. Get a tour while the plant is in operation before you decide.

The fear of a hang up. It takes a long time to clean up. Now Peter, you know that those project managers are highly qualified, up on the latest technology, and are ready to dive in there whenever a problem comes up. They wouldn't stand there looking for someone to point fingers at

Alaric, that is one beautifull view. I'm jealous. Every year, I've been trying to get out to Spanish Fork for a trap shoot either in mid-June or mid-July. I need to up the priority to visit. I've got one more kid in high school for 1-1/2 years and then I can cut out of here for greener pastures.

Alaric that is a nice picture of happy valley, Hangen with the zoobies huh. I went to the tech school there. I dont know if any of you are into the movie Jeremiah Johnson but a good portition for that movie was filmed on the back side if the mountain in Alaric's pic. It is owned by Robert Redford Edited by Smoke

Smoke my only two cents on this is as follows: "I've never seen a tombstone where the inscription read OH TOO HAVE SPENT MORE TIME IN THE OFFICE". Put personal and family concerns before money even if it is 30%.

Very true

Nucor is one of the "good guys" in the steel industry. Simply put, they know their stuff and they are very good at what they do. When every last U.S. Steel plant is closed, I still expect Nucor to be around. They are one of the companies that is NOT going to Congress with their hands out begging for more tariffs on foreign competition.