Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ddevins

Another Devicenet

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I have another thread where I got help getting this DeviceNet set up. And I have one more question. I have a 5/03, PV 600 touch, and 1747-SDN. I have everything working so far. I have numeric entrys on the PV 600 touch that will change preset on timers. When I go to edit the tags for the numeric entries, I have choice of the following: I/O Slave Explicit-Server Explicit-Client Listen Only I tried I/O slave and validation says the address must have and I or O for the first letter. I configured them using Explicit-Client, unsigned integer, have a write tag enetered, and clicked on write tag box on the edit box. I have no errors on validation and downloaded into the PV600. I can enter a number on the PV and it shows in the box but I don't understand where the T4:??.pre gets to the PLC database and changes the preset. Any ideas???? Thanks, Don Devins

This may not help you, but it could be useful advice. It's a common practice to use a regular integer for HMI control, and put a MOVe block in the PLC/SLC to limit check and then move the value to the timer.pre. It is possible to fault a processor if the HMI writes a negative value to the preset. Plus, it gives you the opportunity to program fixed limits for the timer that don't require a panelview download to edit. I see you have chosen unsigned integer as the data type, so this should not happen in your case. But this method may help you track the communications as well. Hope this helps...

I know you posted this a while ago and have assuredly figured it out by now, but I wanted to follow up on the public thread. DeviceNet PanelView terminals only know about DeviceNet; they have no ability to directly read and write the controller's memory the way terminals connected to DH485, DH+, and Ethernet do. The terminal's only interface with the SLC-500 controller is through the data table of the 1747-SDN. For "I/O Slave" functions, you set up a block of data to be exchanged between the SLC and the PanelView. From the PanelView's point of view, this is I:xx and O:xx data. It's the RSNetworx for DeviceNet mapping function that tells the 1747-SDN what part of the I/O memory to put that chunk of data into. Because PanelViews typically use a pretty hefty array of data (from a DeviceNet persepective !), I usually map them to the M0 and M1 files of the 1747-SDN then use COP instructions to copy those arrays back and forth to Integer files. That's also a good way to avoid zero vs. one offset problems, because I can copy data to and from the zero word of an integer N-file to the zero word of the I/O connection. Usually my I:xx data on the PanelView ends up being addressed as N11:xx in the SLC, and the O:xx data in the PanelView ends up addressed as N10:xx in the SLC. Sometimes you have to get out some graph paper for this sort of thing, but it will become clear if you get to read the User Manual for the DNet-equipped PanelView.

Ken's entire post is an excellent suggestion with one update. I replaced my graph paper for situations like this and RIO Panelviews as well with Excel Spreadsheets. Come on now Ken - I would think someone living that close to Redmond would not miss an oppourtunity to promote the hometown company. LOL

I finally figured out that I needed to do exactly what you all have described. And it worked. After printing out countless knowledgebase docs and reading, reading, reading. It finally worked. That's for solidifying my work as being correct. Hope you all had a good time at the automation fair. My boss went this year and all I've heard about is the seafood. Guess it was good anyway. Thanks again

Leave it to the pointy haired ones to notice the seafood and not the automation..