Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MUITECstudent

Student Networking Project

4 posts in this topic

Hello all. My partner Sean and I are college students working on a PLC networking project. We are new to the forums, so please pardon any simple questions or mistakes we may make. To fulfill requirements for an R&D class, we have to network 3 AB MicroLogix 1000 PLCs across a DH-485 network using AIC+ network modules. We desperately need help, as we have hit a stopping point. First, we wired the network using a network cable with four wires inside. The cable runs across 4 AIC+ modules, and has the 5th and 6th pin connected on either side to utilize the terminal resistor inside, as well as grounding one side via the first and second pins. Next, we have configured a PLC to run on the DH-485 protocol using the following technique: Project ==> Channel Config & selected the radio button for DH-485. We set the node address at 1. Unfortunately, this is where we are stuck. When we connect as shown, we get no response from the PLC. PC ===(9 pin serial cable)=== AIC+ ===(4 wire network cable)=== AIC+ ===(8 pin HHP Cable)=== First PLC. Please let us know what we are doing wrong, and keep in mind that we are novices. Thank you very much! -Bill T.

Each node on the network must have a unique number assigned. Valid numbers for DH-485 are 0-31, 0 is typically used for host computer. Also, the correct maximum node number must be set in every node. Baud switches must match on all network adapters. RSLinx must be configured to use PIC/AIC+ driver, not DF1. Edited by Sergei Troizky

Instead of using network cable check the communication directly with the processor the cable form the PC to the AIC + should be CP3 cross cable 2------ 3 3------ 2 5-------5 if everything fine PC will communicate

Let's take it in Steps. - I don't have a 1000 presently so I'll work from somewhat rusty memory. 1. Use a PC to MLGX cable {mine is 1761-CBl-PM02} and configure RSLINX for RS232 DF1 Devices of type SLC\Micro\Panelview. Use the autoconfig function. 2. Now Connect with RSlogix and you should receive a message "need to Download program". Download your program with DH-485 selected and a uniques node address for each processor. 3. Now connect your PLC's to the AIC and your PC to an AIC. Change your RSlinx Configuration to use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver and Linx should show you the PLC's. Good luck and post back.