Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
manowar

Sending HEX values through RS232

5 posts in this topic

Hello. I'm sending WORDS through RS232 port and I'm having tubles with numbers higher than 8. I'm using CQM1H-CPU51 with SCB41. If I, for example, send word FFFF from one PLC , on the other PLC I've got word 7F7F. Picture1. The same thing I've got, if I look sended string through Hyperterminal or similar programs. PLC is sending word FFFF, but on computer I've got 7F7F. Im using PROTOCOL MACRO with variable setting (no conversions to HEX, ASCII,...)-Picture2 Any ideas? THX.

A few questions: How many plc's are you trying to connect? What brand and model of plc? How many words of data are you trying to exchange? There may be a better way to do this, let me know.

It appears to me that you are using 7,E,2 framing. This strips the high bit from each ASCII character. I would suggest using 8,N,1. for sending ASCII characters over Hex 7F.

Jay, I'd imagine that would only be relevant if the transmission format was binary (e.g. Toolbus)? Otherwise using ASCII transmission format the byte would be sent as two ASCII characters, ie. "FF" hex would be sent as "F" followed by another "F" character (i.e. character values of 46 Hex followed by 46 Hex) Non-unicode ASCII only requires 7 bits for non-graphics characters so a character value of 46 Hex should be OK with 7 bits.