Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mellow81

RsLinks ethernet driver problem - ML1100

12 posts in this topic

Hi all, I am new to Ethernet comms (and probably missing something simple) and am experiencing a problem with the Ethernet ip driver in Rslinks in that it will pick up a panelview but not a micrologix 1100 PLC that I have connected through a rail switch. I have setup the ML1100 via channel 0 turning off bootp and dhcp and manually gave it an ip address but rslinks can’t see it for some reason. I have tried this on a different PC running same version and OP system (2000 and Rslink ver 2.5.020) but get the same result. I tried pinging the plc and wasn’t able to but was able to get the panelview. The network indicator lights are both on and I have replaced cabling etc to no avail. I found a previous thread that seemed to have a similar problem but looks like there was no final solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Previous thread

Check the knowledge base on ABs website for a technote on making RSLinx's CIP settings correct for the ML1100.

Thanks for your reply, I had changed the CIP settings as recommened but to no avail. If I can't get a ping response is this possibly a problem on the PLC itself as I could get a ping response from the panelview?

Ok, the previous thread is not the same thing. It was a problem with a windows update and an old driver interfering with RsLinx. Sorry, I should have updated that topic, I will do that Since you can't ping the Micrologix 1100 let's forget about RsLinx for a minute since pinging is a basic computer function. What are the IP Addresses of all devices? Is there anything special about a rail switch? You are using straight cables and no crossovers, correct?

We need more info. The IP Addresses of the PC and the Micrologix ehternet interface Also the Mask and Gateway settings. Is there a firewall in the picture or even a managed switch?

I'm not at work right now and won't get back for another 48 hours but this what I had setup. I can't remember the exact IP address for the first three parts of the IP address but was the same for the panelview and plc(ie xxx.xxx.xxx.100). I tried changing the PLC to another IP address with only the first two parts the same but didn't help. Both PLC and panelview were going through a unmanaged rail switch (Hirschmann Unmanaged SPIDER 5 Port 10/100 Ethernet Rail Switch) using only straight cables. No firewalls on the PC and don't know what the address of it was but Rs links was able to recongise the panelview. If this dosn't provide any clues I'll post the exact addresses and any other info when I get back to work. I appreciate the help! PLC ML1100 Channel 1 IP address: xxx.xxx.xxx.100 (wasn't able to ping) Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0 Gateway:0.0.0.0 Bootp and dhcp off HTTP sever and auto negotiate on Panelview PLus 600 IP address: xxx.xxx.xxx.108 (was able to ping) Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0 Edited by mellow81

Need to know those first three digits. I would suggest starting simple. PC 192.168.1.1 PLC 192.168.1.2 Panelview 192.168.1.3 All gateways 255.255.255.0 Hook them into their own switch so we don't have to worry about duplicate IPs. Get that working then we can move on to RsLinx

Thanks to all who helped, I managed to get my hands on a spare ML1100 and plugged that in and setup it up as I had done before and it worked! Replugged my old one in and set it up again and no response. Can only put it down to a problem internally with the PLC?? I have found AB equipment normally to be pretty reliable in the past so is a bit of a surprise.

Just a thought, since you say you found spare and I'm guessing this was a new unit, do you have the latest EDS files? Could be possible that the spare had an older firmware. What is the firmware version of the two Micrologix 1100s?

The one I was having trouble with was used as a tempory unit for a couple of weeks( ethernet port wasn't used and came straight out of the box) before I got hold of it but the one that works was straight out of the box. Both were firmware 3.

So I am trying to recall, is there a way to set a Micrologix 1100 back to factory defaults?

Not sure if this works on the ML1100 http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...92?OpenDocument