Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

PME - Importing pieces of Code from Project to Project

7 posts in this topic

I am still getting use to this new PME software. Back in the old days, I was able to open two instances of VersaPro software. I could have the program I am developing in VersaPro program running #1, then my old project I want to cut-copy-steal from in VersaPro program running #2. I could literally copy the rungs in the old project then paste them into the new. As long as I didn't have common variables, it would paste the logic and auto-create the variables in the variable table for me. You talk about a huge time savings! So, now I am using PME and I have an old project I have done in PME, and I want to cut-copy-steal some of the ladder logic I have written and import it into the new project I am developing. Suddenly I discover I can't run two instances of PME software and copy from one application to another....ok....so how do you do this in PME? Is there an easy way? What about importing old HMI screen? Just one screen, not all of them?

I am no pro with PME but here is what I do. In your tool box create a new drawer. I Called this example Side. Inside of the "Side" drawer create a new folder. Go into your ladder you want to save as a side, select it and hold Ctrl and drag it into the folder you created. All of you names and values will go into the folder. The in the destination project you can drag the LD folder from the toolbox. What I dont like is when you bring sides from the toolbox it makes you alais the rungs you bring in.

You can also copy the code segment from one program, close it, open the new one and paste it. PITA but it works.

Not if you hold the Ctrl key down while dragg'n it back into the new project. Yes, this drag-n-drop into/out of Toolbox Drawers can be done with ANY 'Object'. This includes Rungs, Screens (Panels), buttons, bows, or whatever. Experiment. I agree with chakorules that at first this seemed a bit restrictive compared to the old multiple projects way. I have come to find that by arranging the Toobox and Drawers 'Logically' it actually saves time in looking for the Rungs or Panels that I want to use.

I didn't even see the toolchest. By default it must be turned off. Thanks for pointing that out. I am one of those dive right in guys that never goes to training classes...LOL...you miss little "toys" like this. I'll play with it and see. Sounds interesting now that I know about it and how I could use it. I could break up boring logic in a toolchest and drag-drop-plop it any time. Sounds sweet. So Russ, If you hold the CTRL key while drag and drop then it creates the ACTUAL varibles then? Rather than aliases?

When you hold the 'Ctrl' key while you Drag-n-Drop it forces a 'Copy' operation this just 'Copies' the variables as they are in the Toolchest. This is indicated by the '+' symbol in the Cursor.

Russ, thanks for the tip I dont know why I didnt think to hold the Ctrl key while bring the logic in.