Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alfbillet

Using a laptop as an HMI for Fx series plc

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of any software for a PC to allow it to be used as an HMI? Laptop PC's are very cheap and very powerful and high end HMI panels are very expensive, so it would seem logical to me to use them as HMI's in some applications, especially laboratory based applications with data logging and so on. Best regards to all.

A graphical interface running on a laptop or other PC with OS is usually referred to as a SCADA system. All major brands support all major PLC brands too. As long as the laptop can interface with your PLC system (by means of serial, ethernet or a PCMCIA network card) it can be used as a SCADA system too. Even not too expensive PC touch panels are available, so it can be used as touchscreen. Read some info here. Don't forget, PC's may be cheap and powerful and HMI's may be expensive, but the most important quality of HMI's is that they don't rely on an OS, and so are the most reliable.

You may also wish to read and post questions about SCADA systems HERE in our new SCADA section

Beijers brought out E-View (as opposed to their HMI software E-Designer), which pretty much gave you and HMI screen running on a PC. Worked fine, though a little different to the HMI. Not sure if it's still available, but at the time it cose £1250 for a "dongled" runtime and development package ..... about the same price as an E700.

Thanks for the advice and the links. Having studied the links and the comments in the new scada section I am convinced of the arguments in favour of the traditional HMI from Beijers or Mitsubishi. My only reservation is the requirement in most of my recent applications to log data and transfer it to a PC. With this in mind, I would like to ask another question. What is the best way to transfer data to a PC from the PLC? Typically I have PLC applications, running for an hour or so, logging up to 20 real numbers each second. That equates to about 72000 real numbers total. Is it best to use a separate interface attached to the PLC, maybe RS232 and then to transmit the data via the serial port to the PC? Or, is there another, simpler way?. If I am using an HMI, then I would prefer to store thedata in the PLC or HMI and then transfer to a PC later, otherwise I will have to have the HMI and the PC, both connected permanently to the PLC.

If you are using one of the Beijers range of HMIs, then it is very easy to store and retrieve data. Just setting up a trend in the HMI will automatically store data on the HMI in *.CSV format. You access the data through the serial port using the freely available HMI tools from Beijers. It's smart as well, the system only logs values when the values change, so it's good at reducing file sizes. Obviously the amount you can store is a function of the number of values and the frequency of storing and the memory size of the HMI ...... as always

Thanks very much Mr.Carpenter. I now have the complete answer to my question and I shall use the FX series PLC's with ESeries panels with confidence. Thanks once again to everyone else for their advice.

Another solution would be that Mitsubishi sells their GOT product as a PC package. You can buy SOFTGOT1000 and run all the same type of screens on a PC that you'd run in a GOT.

Hi I think we can help you. We have a product called SoftHMI which as the name suggests turns your PC into a HMI. It is simple to use and does support Mistusbishi Melsec A protocol, so you can talk to any mistsi PLC with a suitable comms card or module. If you would like more info please contact me support@pacesoft.co.uk Kind regards Tony

MX4 HMI is a product available to use as a PC based HMI It is better than E-View Using MX Sheet to extract and log information If your an Excel -Wizz you can write script to include buttons to create a mini-SCADA Package Try calling a Mitsubishi Local distruibutor for further info. Mitsubishis site:www.mitsubishi.co.uk/automation

Intellution, Lookout and WonderWare are just a few names that will work. I've used 'em all, my favorite is Lookout.