Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moltra

OPC Server

8 posts in this topic

I am looking for a good OPC server to allow me to pull data from logix5000 plc's, Omron PLC, SCL5/04 PLC's and if possible from Micrologix PLC's. I have a copy of KEPServer Enterprise, but I was told that it would not work with Allen-Bradley PLC's. Any help or info would be appreciated

Which communications network(s) are you using? The KepWare Web site lists KepServerEX drivers for ControlLogix Ethernet, Unsolicited Ethernet, DH+, and DF-1 communications to Allen-Bradley products. I didn't dig real deep, but perhaps you can find more details there. Rick

I was told by a KEP rep. that KEPServer Enterprise would not connect to AB devices

We use KEPware for SLC500 PLC5 and CLX. Works just fine.

The subtle but important difference here is that Kepware sells different software packages with very similar names. KepServer EX is a family of OPC servers for a wide variety of control systems, including Omron and A-B. KepServer Enterprise is a special edition of KepServer EX. These are sold only by Rockwell Automation and include connectivity to non-Rockwell controllers only. This OPC server and all of it's drivers are included with RSView ME and PV+/VVCE terminals, but are sold separately for use with RSView SE. Rockwell will not sell or support Kepserver EX drivers for A-B controllers because we have two of our own. Your options are your own; I just wanted to explain the difference between EX and Enterprise.

Kep is the OPC used for connecting Eaton Panelmates to PLCs. It definately works with Allen Bradley. I think Rockwell even sells a version of it.

In case it isnt clear enough by the other posts, Rockwell do sell OPC servers for their entire range of products. The particular product you will be looking for is "RSLinx OEM". A low-cost version is "RSLinx single node" which will allow you to connect to only one device at a time.

I just wanted to emphasize these words from Ken. Kepserver Enterprise will not do what Moltra wanted. AutomationWizard must have missed Ken's post but I would say Moltra has figured that out since this thread is over 2 months old