Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nate

RSLogix to Hand Held Programmer?

6 posts in this topic

Normally, we write our programs on RSLogix 500, take the laptop to some various site, and upload the program if needed to the PLC. We also have a 1761-HHP-B30 HHP with a memory module. I would like to upload the program from RSLogix, to the HHP, then take the HHP into the field. Does anyone know if this is possible. We're having trouble accomplishing this. I am very new in the field, and this website has already been a blessing multiple times. Thank you.

In theory it should be but with all of the updates to SLC/micrologix firmware it would not surprise me to find that your HHP is several firmware versions behind. BTW, the A-B website only says its for Micrologix 1000s so I can't tell if its designed to work with anything else in the SLC line. Someone else comment? i haven't seen one of these in a few years. Edited by jstolaruk

Haven't used a handheld in many, many years, but you might be able to use another MLX as a storage buffer. Us RsLogix to download the program to the MLX, then up load from the MLX to the handheld. This is just a guess, do not know if it's possible or not.

The hand-held programmer for the MicroLogix was obsolete a long time ago, does not support the current generation of MicroLogix 1000's (and never the 1100/1200/1500) and doesn't do what you describe. Give it a decent burial. A little device that was designed for your sort of application is the 1747-PSD Program Storage Device. It will allow you to load the program from RSLogix 500 and then download it into a MicroLogix in the field. It only holds one program at a time so it's only going to substitute for RSLogix 500 in a limited number of circumstances. A-B website info: 1747-PSD

It's really too bad, I'd grown accustomed to that little hand held, but, once the technology no longer supports your needs it's time to get new technology I suppose. Thank you all for responding, it's been a big help. And thank you Ken Roach, that PSD is indeed exactly what I was in need of.

Did A-B finally "retire" the HHP? I know there's been several firmware updates over the years and they've tried to keep it current as the micro 1000 family has evolved (even support for the analog controllers). I haven't yet run into a 1000 I haven't been able to connect to with the HHP, but then again it wouldn't exactly surprise me if at some point a new micro 100 firmware rev came along that the HHP didn't recognise! I suppose the HHP would be good for program capture and downloading, but I only used mine for forcing I/O and clearing faults. Kind of a shame they didn't make the display and keypad a little bigger.. The SLC 500 handheld is actually much more of a pleasure to use than the micro!