Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimWilborne

ProcessLogix?

11 posts in this topic

I wondering what happened to the ProcessLogix. I never understood quite what it was and just went looking on ABs site and could not find it. I know physically it was the same as the Controllogix but what is different feature wise?

http://www.engineeringtalk.com/news/roc/roc141.html Found an old article from back in 2000, seems they have somewhat integrated all of this now into ControlLogix.

Thanks for the link. I guess thats why I never understood what the Processlogix had over the Controllogix. I was introduced to them in the later years when they must have incorporated most of the Processlogix features into the Controllogix

Processlogix developed by Honeywell as a partner product for process control. I am not sure if RA still sells it, but it still available on RAISE. With Function Blocks and Phase Manager ControlLogix has most ProcessLogix functionality.

The ProcessLogix system also included Display Builder, which was an "integrated" HMI. This portion of the previous system can now be handled by RSView SE (with process extensions). Rick

Our company evaluated the Contrologix when it first came out. From our understanding, it was RA attempt at a DCS look a like on the front end but built with ladder logic as the engine on the inside. The engineer who tried out the software said he crreated a function block of some sort and when he went to look at the ladder logic, it end up creating something like 30-50 data table and program files with no documentation. Needless to say, we didn't go for it.

Firetubes, you're probably thinking of the unlamented RSFrameworx software, which implemented a function-block editor for PLC-5 controllers in the method you describe. I sold only a few systems like that in the 1996-98 timeframe. ProcessLogix was, as mentioned, a Honeywell 2-slot controller (they sell it as a C200 controller) with the Honeywell ControlBuilder and DisplayBuilder. Rockwell took it through the R500 release and doesn't sell it new anymore, though I support a small handful of existing installations in my area. Rockwell has a lot of the functionality of a hybrid DCS, with online I/O addition and a true function block language, but the integrated HMI and system overview aren't quite what people expect from a DCS. It's getting more and more popular, though, and features are steadily being built and launched (like the S88 phase manager) that are aimed at the process control market.

I would urge you to reevaluate the Controllogix. In my opinion it is the best thing out there right now. What are you currently using?

Sorry, I meant to say ProcessLogix but as Ken stated, it was RSFrameworx.

ControlLogix and it's associated programming software is now on Version 15 soon to be 16. Having looked at the offering since before there were CPU's and only comm cards, I'd say it has come a long way. What I remember in version 7 has been solved by the more recent offerings. I'd urge you to re-evaluate the new offering.