Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dleehanson

Ultra 3000 Indexing

12 posts in this topic

Has anyone here ever setup an ultra 3000 (2098-DSD-020) drive using an external encoder for speed reference and running index parameters. any information would be great. Thanks

I just finished one job with two and am starting the next job with seven. Do you have a specific question and do you have Ultraware?

I think his question was about not using the encoder on the back of the servo motor. He wants to use a external encoder which I would assume is hooked to some idler roller. 2098-DSD-020 - Is that the complete part number? Think there need to be more if it is an indexing drive. The reason I ask is if you have an external motion controller such as a Controllogix the answer is a definate yes. You hook the servo encoder to the drive, but where it would normally go from the drive to the controller, you do not connect it. You connect your external encoder here. I'm thinking the auxillary encoder on the 2098-DSD-020 is more for following applications but I could be wrong. As far as hooking the external encoder up directly to the drive, I'm not sure what type of stability you would achieve. I think it would depend on what you are driving and what type of slippage you have. Jstolaruk - Are the applications you have using an external encoder. If so can you say what you are driving and comment on the stability. Mainly for my own information.

No, these two apps I mentioned were of the std servo motor with internal encoder style. Years ago I did a winding application with a Ultra5000 with an external encoder and don't recall anything difficult. I could only imagine that I probably put some very big limits on following errors and such. Edited by jstolaruk

Ok, and on something positive like a winder it should not be a problem. Our application is a continuous and inconsistent slippage application, that is where he will run into problems dleehanson - Need some more info on you application

The application is folding the tops of 5 lb bags. As the bag passes under the folder the servo has to start and match speed with the converor carring the 5 lb bag. Once the folding is complete the servo returns to starting position and starts on the next bag traveling under it. The traveling distance is about 16 inches forward and back. By customer request i am using a micrologix 1100 plc. The external ecoder would run with the conveyor carring the unfolded bag. I am currently feeding the ecoder into the micrologix inputs 0 and 1 (a high b high). From here i would have to send an analog signal into the drive for speed reference. I am thinking that it will work better if i take the external ecoder directly into the ultra drive. I am using ultraware version 1.63. I have never set one up this and was hoping for maybe some examples in the ultraware software on how to do so. I have questions on how to set up the index control panel and other things along this order. never seeing one operate its tough to image the setup. Thanks

Ok, how about verifying that part number. A 2098-DSD-020 is not an indexing drive. The following assumes that your part number is correct and you do not have an indexing drive Yes it looks like you can do it by hooking the external encoder to the drive but I have never actually done it. You will hook the external encoder up to the axillary encoder input. There is a catch to this. Your encoder hooked to the ML1100 is a 24VDC encoder. I am pretty sure that the axillary encoder is strictly 5 VDC. Your encoder may be capable of running both 5 and 24 VDC. If not, you will have to replace your encoder. For the basics, in Ultraware on the main drive menu, you will see "Operating Modes". Expand it and you will see "Operating Mode". The default value is "Analog Velocity Input". Change this to "Follower: Axillary Encoder" From there your are going to have to play with it or may be someone else has one they can play with or perhaps they have more experience doing this. The only spare drive and motor I have is a 2098-DSD-150 and a F6300R. They are spare and I never really thought I would need them so they are on a shelf about 20 high in the air and I don't feel like breaking my neck today trying to get the heavy suckers down. I get the feeling that once you make the configuration changes and enable the drive, turning the axillary encoder will make the motor turn. Why don't you verify that you can use your existing encoder. If you can use the encoder then try this and get back to us.

I'm doing this from memory so forgive me if I make a mistake but the gist of it is: Yes, I would connect the external encoder directly into the auxiliary encoder inputs on the Ultra. You can then switch to follower mode whenever you want to sync with the conveyor. Follower mode allows you to set up gear ratios so that you can match the movements coming in on the aux. encoder. The manual is not the greatest for working examples so you may want to get the machine into a condition where you can safely try out the follower mode. This should be the perfect application for the Ultra. The Micrologix can then be used for supervisor control, mode switching and such.

On thing to add to Jstolaruk's post. You can switch between two modes by configuring one of your inputs as "Operation Mode Override".

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up wiring the external encoder directly into the ultra drive. I set the inputs to the following Input 1: Drive Enable Input 2: Follower Enable Input 3: Operation Mode Override Input 4: Start Indexing On Forward motion i turn on Input 2 (Follower Enable). at the end of the travel distance i then Turn off Input 2 and turn on input 3 and 4 and follow an index profile for the return position. Worked Great. Thanks again.

No problem and thanks for coming back and telling us how it worked out

good job! I'm a fan of the Ultras and use them whenever I can , especially the Ultra5k.