Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lchamarthi

RS Logix Software

13 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone! As I am searching for trail Rs Logix Software since 2 days, I could able to get on thier site which is a trail version. Could anybody help me to get the manual on the software usage? Because I used Omron Softwares and RS Logix seems to be different in assigning the symbol names & access, Instructions too. Especially Timer Enable (TE), Timer Timing (TT), Timer Done (T.D) purpose i couldn't understand as in Omron have only two cases either Timer ON/OFF. Typical Instructions like GSV, SSV, MVM, LIM, CPT felt difficult to understand. Could anyhelp on undestanding of this will be great. Also how the addressing will be in AB & where it will be assigned? Please give me hand to learn AB software too. Thanks in advance Lakshmi

First I would suggest you read HERE. It will give you links to demos for RsLogix 500 and 5000. RsLogix 5 and 500 are very similar. 5 being for the PLC5 and 500 being for the SLC and Micrologix RsLogix 5000 is much different than 5 or 500. It is used to program Controllogix, Compactlogix, Flexlogix, etc. Which PLC are you going to be programing?

RsLogix 5000 is much different than 5 or 500. It is used to program Controllogix, Compactlogix, Flexlogix, etc. Which PLC are you going to be programing? Edited by lchamarthi

From the MrPLC AB Faq It has a 90 day limit and only supports offline operations

Hello TWControls, I downloaded RsLogix 5000 demo software from AB website. I couldn't able understnad in the following. Especially Timer Enable (TE), Timer Timing (TT), Timer Done (T.D) purpose i couldn't understand as in Omron have only two cases either Timer ON/OFF. Typical Instructions like GSV, SSV, MVM, LIM, CPT felt difficult to understand. Could anyhelp on undestanding of this will be great. Also how the addressing will be in AB & where it will be assigned? Regards Lakshmi

Hi Lakshmi, This link will get you to the AB library: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...e_category.hcst From there, choose Programmable Controllers, ControlLogix. You'll want to pick up several manuals: Logix5000 Controllers Common Procedures Programming Manual Logix5000 Controllers General Instructions Reference Manual Logix5000 Controllers Motion Instructions Logix5000 Controllers Design Considerations Reference Manual Read (or skim) thru the Common Procedures book first. The addressing in Logix5000 series controllers is totally different from your traditional PLCs. You'll give the locations actual names instead of pre-defined Input or Output address blocks (I forget what Omron uses... you might know them as I, O, Q, X or Y). It's easy once you've done a small sample like they show in the book. GSV & SSV are really hand little things for finding why the system faulted & resetting it. I don't remember much from the time I used it except that it told me that my I/O cards were powering down before my processor did. There's an example in the Common Procedures book for it. As for the rest, do a little reading & try it out. You may not like it at first, but it actually does make sense once you do one program. HTH! Susan

See if this helps you. They are some basic samples that I hope will make it clear. I'm not the best at explaining so I thought this may make it clearer to show you in a program. Might have to call Ron in. Can you be more specific about which GSV/SSV you are looking at. That is the only one that really varies with what you are trying to do Oh and don't let the I/O addressing freak you out. It freaks out many AB guys switching from RsLogix 5,500 also but it is not that hard to grasp lchamarthi.ACD Edited by TWControls

If I read your posts correctly you are moving from the Omron world to RSlogix and ControlLogix. The first and most critical thing I learned was the way in which data files are used. In Omron all data files goes to zero unless they are holding type. In AB all data files retain their value unless changed by the program. This makes behavior of the PLC at power up very different between Omron and AB.

Thank you so much to all for good helping nature! Especially TWC Controls Program example explination. Now I got little bit into the software. I doubt on where we will asign the Tags(Symbol names) with address. I opened everything in the index. But I couldn't. Also I hope "I" or "O" input or output comes depending on the config. But heard somewhere that slot no is the address but refering internal bits 5:O -------Refers total 5 slot (All outputs) 5.6:O -------- 6th bit in the 5th slot (Is it correct? This bit refering syntax i am doubt) --Pl clarify me) One more difficulty i find in this software is, Address cross reference tool (finding input condition to turn on Internal Relays & where in all the program it has been used gives a list) i couldn't able to find. Going through the total program to find one realy usage in the program to & forth difficult. Where in Omron this tool available. Pl calrify me whether this available or not? If not how can search in best way? Waiting for your earlist possible reply. Thanks in advance for taking off ur valuable time Lakshmi

I've taken TW's example and added an Input Card in slot 2 {DC 16 pt} and an Output Card in Slot 3 {AC 16 pt}. The modified file is here. lchamarthi_IO.ACD. If you open the Cotnroller Tags you will now see tags Local:2:C , Local:2:I, Local:3:C, Local:3:O and Local:3:I. The tags Local:2 are for slot 2 and pertain to your input card. The :C are the control tags and allow you to set filters and so forth. The :I is for your actual input data. Expand the tree and you'll get an idea. I've expanded the Local 2 tags some for you. To get to the first Input Point on the card you would need to look at Local:2:I.Data.0. The Local:3 tags for slot 3 are about the same. Don't be surprised the Local:3:I structure is there to give you module Fault, Fuse Blow status and so forth. You'll also find three new routines. If you open R001 and right click on Start_PB and select Cross Reference. You'll get a screen that looks like this. Hope this helps.

Looks like Bob got this round answered very well. Just wanted to add if you are lazy like me instead of right clicking for the cross reference you can press Control E. Do you mind me asking what you project will consist of? Some of use can probably give you some pointers to keep you from getting stuck down the road. Edited by TWControls

I will echo TW's sentiment that if your application calls for Controlnet, Devicenet, or Ethernet IP I/O or any speciality I/O {Analog cards, Motion Cards, Ascii or basic Cards} The knowledge base of people here can keep you from wasting valuable time.

lchamarthi - Didn't you have a thread going titled "Allen Bradley AB PLC model & compatable software"? Where did it go? Did you delete it?