Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brianafischer

Rockwell Software Updates

8 posts in this topic

Hello all, I was wondering what the best solution is to recieve notifications and software updates for AB and Rockwell PLC products? Are there any mailing lists/rss feeds for product updates? Is there a FTP/resumable download site for slow connections? How does everyone get their software updates and know what the current bugs are with the current versions besides reading the release notes? It seems that Rockwell has a new version of Linx called RSLinx "Classic". How am I supposed to know what this version does? Is it free? Does it replace Linx Lite? For example, I just got the MicroLogix 1100 controller today, but am spending 1/2 of the day on the phone and downloading/installing new software just to get online with it over RS-232. It would be nice to get the latest updates mailed on CD when they are released or to be notified when they are available. It also seems that Rockwell has removed the forums previously available at: www.software.rockwell.com/forum/ Rockwell Software Forums The Rockwell Software Discussion Forums are no longer available. Thank you for your participation; we apologize for any inconvenience. If you need more information about a particular Rockwell Software product or desire technical assistance, please visit the Rockwell Automation Support website at Get Support Now. Or search the Rockwell Automation Knowledgebase for product-specific articles and technical application notes. Any comments? Thanks, Brian Edited by brianafischer

The main RSI software download site is the only one maintained by RSI. Lately they have begun packing downloads into single ZIP files, often named "core.zip", which can get a little confusing. I usually rename mine. It used to be that they were divided up into cabinet files around 1 megabyte, and were managed by a Java applet. The main Support site has a link to a service called MySupport. This sends you a weekly list of upgrades and changes to software that you specify, and has a corollary list of technotes that are new or revised each week. Product Service Advisories are also sent using this method. If you have even the lowliest support contract, you can have fresh CD's sent to you with your RSI product updates. Just call Support Services ( (440) 646-7700, I think) and have your contract number handy. I have a few customers who lack high-speed Internet access and when they need an update more quickly than RSI can ship it, I will download it myself and give them CD's. It's one of the benefits of knowing your local RA office ! The RSLinx "Classic" designation was given to the ordinary RSLinx product that works with all you programming and networking software. Version 2.50 was I think the first to have the name attached to it, and that's the version of RSLinx you need to connect to the MicroLogix 1100. RSLinx Classic still has all the functional license versions; Lite, Single Node, OEM, Standard, Professional, and Gateway. There is a data server for RSView Enterprise called "RSLinx Enterprise" which is a high-capacity FactoryTalk data server. The names are an effort to distinguish these different products. What are your thoughts about how RSI should provide updates ? I've often thought that a BitTorrent tracker could make very high-demand updates work better, but a lot of customers I've talked to don't allow BitTorrent clients on business PC's. I think the MySupport e-mails are just as good as RSS for this purpose. Everybody knows how to use e-mail, but RSS can be a little more challenging for newbies to configure.

Hi Brian. Welcome to the MrPLC If you have a current support contract, which I strongly suggest you do, you can call Rockwell at 440-646-7700 and they will mail them to you. RsLogix Forum – Yes the forum is closed but I think you will find this forum very helpful as many of the member that participated there are also here. You may want to read THIS thread for more information Looks like Ken has beat me to it but its a slow day here so... Edited by TWControls

I was just looking into my directConnect (or whatever it's called) and realized that I hadn't been getting my CD updates. I called Rockwell, and they sent them out the same day (something about a mess-up with the way my name was put in the computer.) Anyway, it's fixed now and the point of this ? is......... I was searching through the updates online and noticed that everything was labeled as… an "Update". Can you not download the full CD? For instance, say I'm on a business trip using a new laptop (hypothetical). Now I realize that I don't have RSLogix installed on the computer -DARN IT!!! I DO have my Key on a USB drive though, and have my directConnect (and serial number) information in my wallet. So would I be able to use the downloaded files to install the software, or am I up the creek without the original disks? (Once again, this is just hypothetical. I'm just curious if this is how things are setup...)

trn_psycho I can't speak for all products, but all RSLogix 5,500,5000 , networks and RSlinx on the website are full versions that can be installed without having CD. All you need is a valid serial number and name.

All of the software is fully downloadable over the internet as far as I know. But I do not believe that Rockwell is automatically sending out CDs anymore. I believe you have to call and request them. It was, atleast I feel, a waste of money to send the CDs out when you can download the software off of the internet the day it is released

If your ROCKWELL employee, or any other employee, Omron, Mistu or whatever, I sure do encourage any activity of letting us know what the newest or latest trend is. Please post it up! I am sure you've got your hands tied but I hate the fact when I find out about something new six months later. I don't EVER have time to go to a rockwell automation show or anything like that so this is how I found out, or through my distributor, when they remember to tell me....

Can't speak for all vendor reps, but most of our reps here in Southern IN {louisville metro} have been real receptive to the lunch and learn concept. They spring for the meal {usually carnival fare, burgers, dogs, etc} and we use our lunch hours to come and see the latest they are doing dog and pony shows on. Sometimes they even bring the show on site.