Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stan

IP Error on SLC5/04

12 posts in this topic

I am for some reason getting an error "no ip configured for channel" on an SLC 5/04. Now this is a DH+ processor "thinking" itself an ethernet processor 5/05. This happed after I had AB do a firmware update on the 5/04. So thinking that for some reason the s/w could be for a 5/05 (I'm told this couldn't happen), I changed the processor to an older one I had for spare. And the error doesn't go away. Has anyone seen this? Rockwell have not seen it either.

That's a new one for me too. Had the 'spare' unit's firmware been upgraded also?

No. The spare unit's software wasn't updated.

from the "just-a-wild-guess-for-no-justifiable-reason" department: both before and after the firmware upgrade, did you properly reposition the "protection" jumper? ...

Where exactly do you see the error message?

Snerkel is probably on to something here ... if the error message is showing up in RSLinx, then I'd make sure that the copy of RSLinx that you're using is the "latest-and-greatest" version ... maybe the copy you're using is too old to recognize the updated firmware ... but again - I'm just grasping at straws here ... whatever happens PLEASE! come back and let us know how the dust settles on this one ... you can't find stuff like this in a book ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

Although I can't explain it any better than anyone else has, I want to side with the "cannot happen" crowd on 5/05 firmware getting into the 5/04. Reason being, you don't upgrade the 5/05 with a memory module like on the 5/03 or 5/04. It can only be done through the ethernet port, which obviously you don't have. Does the 5/04 otherwise seem to work properly? i.e. the correct LED flashing sequence during POST, ability to communicate through the DH+ and/or RS232 port, etc? Did you or the A-B tech verify proper operation BEFORE doing the flash update?

To answer the clarification questions: 1. I have changed the processor to an older one - thinking the problem was with the updated firmware processor & I am still running on the "no-firmware-upgraded-processor". 2. Yes I am programming the processor through RSLinx via DH+ & the processor has a PV connecting to its RS232 port. 3. The processor functioned properly before the firmware update. The msg error was easily missed because the plant was on a shut at the time of testing. The error caused a cl2 injection machine not to inject cl2 for about two casts (I'm in a cast house) before sum1 noticed the lack of cl2. When I investigated I realised that the cl2 injection m/c wasn't getting level from the caster plc & that's when I discovered the error. In the meantime I have setup comms to my other caster line plc thru multihop and the msg sending goes through 3 plc's instd of 1. (not very elegant). 4. And the msg appear on the msg block as error "dx0" & to be precise it reads "no ip configured for this network". Not in RSLinx. I tried recfg'ing the msg to see if I can reset it but this didn't help. I have engaged tech support & will let y'all know when I find a solution. Unfortunately I'm timeline GMT + 2, that's South Africa & not able to reply when most of you are online.

I'm going to agree that you should contact Rockwell Tech Support I have managed to load a 1756-L55M12 firmware into a 1756-L1M1 processor. Once you do it the processors dead and you can't reflash the firmware.

Found the problem & it goes a little like this: ... DHRIO, Routing tables & link ID's. I discovered that my tech changed the DHRIO module (at my request) & it slipped my mind that I needed to redo or load the routing tables. The processor got confused because it couldn't establsih the remote link. How dumb!!!

Greetings stan, I think I speak for all of us here ... a million thanks for coming back and letting us know what caused your problem ... unsolved mysteries like this one tend to keep some of us awake at night ... no ... how human!!!

Yea,.............what HE said.