Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AmazingTrans

Butler Splicer:- PLC Ladder Logic

13 posts in this topic

Anybody have a Butler Splicer which is control with an AB PLC? I was wandering whether does anyone has the ladder logic program for it? I need an example to control one of the butler system, to test run the machine. Hope someone can help this out. Thanks

why cant you write your own?

What happened to the program that was in it

It is always nice to see what the actual manufacturer of the machine had in mind. Sometimes that is an expensive or unavailable luxury, but I can't blame him for asking! (Whatever the heck a "butler splicer" is.. Is that what you need when your butler gets in a horrible accident? :)

Well, now we know what one looks like. Still dont know what the heck it is though.

Its a close-up of an automatic toilet paper dispenser!

HAHAHAHA Its used in the printing industry to splice a new roll of paper before the other runs out.

That would have been my second guess :) Never did get to work on a web press, spent a couple years of my youth on a 26" 5/C sheetfed tho..

I'm new to the machine, so I'm trying to grasp the idea of how the machine works. The manual that is provided is not clear enough, so I was thinking by looking at the code it might helps a little bit to figure out the inputs output and everything. Oh well, I guess nobody will have it. Thanks for trying everybody.

Maybe try talking to other people in your area in the printing business? Back when I was working on the press (~10 yrs ago) there was a very knowledgable guy named Jim Liess that had his own repair business here in Detroit. He was the kind of guy that you could ask this question and if he didn't have it himself, he'd know who to talk to. There must be someone like that that goes to all the print shops in your area! I suppose you've already tried and failed to get this from the manufacturer?

What type of AB Plc is it? Do you have any AB software?

It's a PLC Compactlogix 5000. And Yup , i talked to the manufacturer about it.

according to my short research buttler splicer is device that ensures countinuous paper supply for printing press (automated paper-roll exchange). i may be wrong but i think this should be rather simple device to control with only few I/O. this is why I asked why not write program. i prefer to write my own code instead of reverse-engineering someone else's (specially if i would have to maintain it). reading other people programs is good as learning practice and chance to collect some programming tricks but after while it's all the same. 0110100010110001111...