Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snerkel

Guest account

5 posts in this topic

Is it about time the Guest account can not post. 1. If you forget to log in you post accidently as guest. 2. Sly comments can be made without any trace (by normal users). 3. Threads get confused if created by a guest, then another guest answers.

I agree. It's time to lock it down. Not only that 4. Spammers can't post either. Getting tired of deleting posts. I know PDL is getting tired of deleting posts too...

I agree with both of you but I wish you didn't have to do it just because a few people with nothing better to do. The only bad thing about requiring people to register to do anything is that it deters from gaining new members. I know personally when any type of site requires me to register I think twice about proceeding because some registrations are so long and in the end what you get out of it wasn't worth the time. My first post on this site was as a guest and I don't think I would have joined if you couldn't post as a guest. Now I'm glad I did. This is a great site for learning new things and getting questions answered. But also many of the long standing and active members of this site will get tired of these guest post and end up leaving if something is not done. Nothing is worse than seeing that there is an answer to a post that interest you and finding out it's one of those guest post

I agreed with what you said here about six months ago. But have you seen how many members we have? Almost 15,000 registered. We have left guest allowed to post since Dec of 1999. It hasn't really been a problem since about six months ago. PDL being a moderator on the other side of the world helps out alot. When we are sleeping here in the USA, PDL is busy deleting spammer guest posts. I hate to do it, but I've read comments in other posts from long time members that complain about guest posts. I guess that is what got under my skin. I don't want to see members complain about it, I'd rather take action and do something about it. Our main focus has been about the downloads, forums come second. But if we can better the board and bring peace, why not make it so now? Sorry to have to crack the whip, but the tribe here has spoken...guest posts have been voted off the island.

Hear hear P.S. If you still let the guests download files in the download section it might help having "genuine" guests around which will register eventually if they want to participate in the forums. (I mean, they can do no harm in only downloading files right !?) Or let a message in the bottom screen say "you are/ are not allowed to download", "you are/ you are not allowed to post etc.", like you see on many other forums. It's a shame though the real guests have to sacrifice this for those d*mn spammers...