Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brad

Communication

6 posts in this topic

I want to use two Operator Interface Panels to communicate with a Micrologix 1500 from different locations. The panels that I have can be hooked up to communicate via a DH-485 network. Can I bridge between a DH-485 and my existing Ethernet Network?

Can you provide a little more info? Which components are DH-485? Will the operator interfaces also be DH-485, or will they be ethernet? Are the ML1500's using the LSP or LRP processors?

I re-read your post and I see that the operator interfaces are DH-485. If you are using the 1764-LRP processors with your ML1500's, you can configure one of the ML's serial ports for DH-485 and connect the operator interfaces no problem. The necessary cabling/interfaces will depend upon the type of physical connection on the operator interfaces. You can then connect a 1761-NET-ENI (DF1 to Ethernet/IP converter) to the ML's second comm port to put your ML1500 on ethernet.

This says you can. I have not used this myself. http://www.protocolconverter.com/products/...l4500EDH485.htm

Well I don't think the answer is "NO" exactly, but if the question is "can it be done with minimal expense" then the answer is probably not! I think your two options to bridge between Enet and DH485 (other than the protocolconverter.com product, which I have no knowledge of) are using a PC running RSLinx Gateway, or a ControlLogix rack with the appropriate cards. But like mgvol said, if you're using 1764-LRP processors, you must be using a NET-ENI on one of the comm channels.. so you can put a NET-AIC on the other one and configure that channel for DH485.