Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PLCer

How to convert from C200Hx to CS1

11 posts in this topic

Hi, SOme of our customers have very old systems with C200H CPU. You know that it's not orderable now, so we must make a choice to upgrade it to C200H alpha series or CS1 series. Can anybody give me some advice on things to note when converting C200H to C200Hx and to CS1. Many thanks.

Hello PLCer, As far as converting the program goes, if you are using CX-Programmer (please say that you are!), simply change the PLC type in your project from C200H to whatever type you are going to use. CX-Programmer will do the rest for you. Regards anonymous

Like he said CX-Programmer does the hard part. I have done 2 C200H to CS1 upgrades. You may need to change some addressing to match CS1 if you have remote I/O or analogs. Otherwise it is straight forward. If you get the correct backplane, you can reuse some of the I/O modules and save wiring time too. I reused the 120 vac outputs and 24vdc inputs and did not have to change addresses on them. I did have to change the analog modules. I had remote I/O and only had to change the addresses to the CS1. The C200H-RM201 worked just fine. Make sure you have the C200H data memories saved before you begin.

Thanks for quick reply. I want to convert both hardware and software to CS1. Current config includes: C200H-CPU01 C200-IDxx C200-ODxx C200-OA222 C200-NC211 I will have to replace CPU, backplane, P/S and still retain I/O modules. My main concern is with C200-NC211. It's not a standard module in CS1. Can we still reuse this module? Second part to the conversion is software. With normal I/O, it's straightforwad. With special I/O module, we will have to set different memory I/O. But for other modules, I'm not very sure what to change. Can u help.

You can use the C200H-NC211. The CS1 can use C200H modules. I am guessing that the discrete modules (ID, OA, OD) are either 8 or 16 point modules. These will cross over without issue. The NC211 will map into different memory addresses then on the C200H cpu. Your best bet is to refer to the W339 manual. This manual covers in detail the memory mapping for Special I/O modules, both C200H and CS1. Addressing will depend on the Unit or Mach Number set on the front of the module. C200H modules had a single rotary switch, CS1 modules will have two switches (16 to zero power, and 16 to the first power). Hope this will help.

Hi, Are u sure C200H-NC211 can be reused in CS1? I cannot find its listing in CS1 supported module. BTW, can C200-OA222 can be reused in CS1 ? I can only see C200-OA222V in CS1 listing. Many thanks.

PLCer, The CS1 will support C200H modules. When the CS1 originally was introduced there were basically no CS1 modules, we used C200H I/O. I just checked CX-Programmer V6 (part of CX-One). The C200H-NC211 is shown in the IO Table and Unit Setup under Position Controller. The C200H-OA222 would be setup under Basic I/O as a C-Out16 (C Series Basic Output Unit). Older versions of CX-Programmer did not have a very complete list of I/O modules listed in the IO Table. Most of the Special I/O modules were setup under C200H SIOU/C200H ASCII (A). Then you had to enter the unit/machine number and the Input and Output words that the unit used. What version of CX-P are you using? I am sure that the CS1 will support the I/O modules you have. Hope this helps.

As gt states, the IO Table component has been greatly improved with the later versions of CX-P, making it quite easy to select the IO component that you require. So yes, the CS1 will support the IO that you've listed. Regards anonymous

or you can auto configure I/O table with programming console, i think this easier way. hope this will help regard ARK

Make sure you order the correct CPU Backplanes. There are some backplanes for CS1 Units only. see jpg

Yair, Thanks for that information!! I just checked the latest US catalog, and you really need to be careful when specifying the CPU backplane. That information is only listed in one place, so it would be easy to order the wrong number!