Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CJH

Ethernet on SLC 5/03

7 posts in this topic

Hi My division has loads of 5/03 CPUs lying around, and we want to do long term testing of our control software in a simulated plant environment. However, we need Ethernet communications to do this. We can't really justify the expense of purchasing a whole new 5/05 CPU just for the Ethernet port, though. Are there any third party manufacturers (it doesn't seem like AB does) who make ethernet modules for the SLC range compatible with RS Linx? Thanks

Actually, AB does sell an interface for Micrologix and SLCs to get on Ethernet via the RS232 port. See the 1761-NET-ENI. Obviously is not very fast but I've used it a couple of times and it does work.

The NET-ENI module works well, but so long as you are not using the DF1 port for anything else, i.e. an HMI. We have recently installed several Ethernet Modules for the SLC for connecting them to SCADA over ethernet. The module was from Prosoft Technology - an MVI46-DFNT, which sits in an empty slot. I believe that they are more expensive than the NET-ENI but they are a good option

Heres a link to the Pro-soft modules for the SLC platform: http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/.../view/full/5629

did anyone use it yet? does it support passthrough etc? what does it cost?

Is there any reason you don't want to network the 5/03s over DH485 and then install a bridge? Thats the route I took with our 5/04s, I put a 1756-ENBT and a 1745-DH-RIO module in a 4 slot CLX rack with no processor. The modules bridge one network to the other. You can drill right though the bridge and browse online right to any of the processors on the DH+. The same ability is supported over a DH-485 bridge. For 1-1 communications this will probably give you a faster link than the Serial-Enet NET-ENI adaptor. If you want to put each one directly on the ethernet than I suggest the NET-ENI, but it will probably cost more than a bridge if you have more than a couple of 5/03s. I don't think that the Prosoft in-rack module supports program access, just data access. You COP the data to an M file, then BTW to the module, and that data is availalbe via ENET. Prosoft also makes stand alone network bridges I think.

Be careful with the net eni devices and the internet. We've had some compatability issues between our Cisco routers, rslinx and Net-Eni devices.