Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest_Jason

Accu Sort Barcode Scanner with Control Logix

7 posts in this topic

I have an Accu-Sort Model 22 barcode scanner with an EM 50 Expansion Module with Device Net option that I want to read a barcode on and verify that the barcode I said I printed is what I printed. I don't know how the Expansion Module will transmit the data over dnet back to the plc. Anyone ever done this? Know anything about how it transmits the data, or have any sample code? Thanks, Jason

they have website with manuals for download http://www.accusort.com/services/downloads.html (requires registration), and tech support phone number. Did you try any of this?

Did Accu Sort buy the old Adaptscan? Cause I remember setting up an Adaptascan on devicenet, and I remember using the Adaptascan software that I would write the barcode into an "N" integer register inside the SLC. I dunno if the Accu Sort is the same as the Adaptascan, but if memory serves me it seemed like Adaptascan was bought out by someone.

Yes, Accusort did buy the Allen Bradley line of the Adaptascan BCR. They still support these even though I have not had a lot of luck with Accusort tech support in general. I have recently set up the Adaptascan SN8 on a devicenet network. Since this was my first forray into Devicenet, the learning curve was steep. I do currently have 8 of them working using the Devicenet M registers. By the way, the Adaptascan is NOT the same as the model 22. Many different functions. I am curious on how you wrote the barcode in directly in the N register. Was that using devicenet or a serial input? I didn't think there was any way to write from a devicenet device directly into the N register of a SLC. Again, I'm such a novice on devicenet it's pathetic. It's on my list to get better at along with Mitsubishi PLC, Contrologix, Panelview+, VB, ethernet comms, SQL, Modbus, RIO comms, and a few others. Edited by brucechase

bruce, man it was four or five years ago since the last time I used the adaptscan. But I remember setting up a parse in the adaptscan software to cut off all characters and only write a number to an Integer direct. I remember it like yesterday that I could setup and I did write my barcode numbers to an N7 file. I looked and looked for an example of that program but I can't find it. It was too long ago. I am sure much has changed since AccuSort purchased the Adaptascan, it might not be the same anymore. It seem like the adaptscan was fairly new that long ago. I remember having to upgrade the firmware TWICE in the adaptscan to get them to work right on my project. Loved the raster feature in the BCR! Big and bulky though...

Anyway back to the original post. I downloaded the manual... Not much in there for the E-50 on devicenet... I don't even see an EDS file to download. I bet your in for a thrill intergrating this one. I would have to go along with bruce though, your probablly gonna get your information across the "M" bits using a devicenet module like this. You'll need to get them to e-mail you an EDS file and any other tech documents they have on the E-50 with devicenet addon. 25859R19_US_Model22II_Manual.pdf

This is the 2nd barcode scanner manufactuer that has lead me to think that the DeviceNet option is integrated onto their scanner but all it is is overglorified serial to DeviceNet converter that you have to wire, powerup, and mount. If you have to have a DeviceNet interface option, try AB point IO. The 1734-232ASC runs for less than $200 and the documentation and EDS files are readily available on their website. You will need a 1734-ADN as well.