Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tgorupMFT

SLC-5/03. Can I add more timers?

10 posts in this topic

What do I need to do to, if I can add more timers. They go up to T4:51, is there anyway to get more? Thanks

The data structures in the AB SLC5/03 can be extended. This must be performed while OFFLINE wiht the changed program then downloaded to the target processor. If it already has a program then upload first so you have its data values. In RSLogix500 go to the left side of the screen. Right click on "Data Files" and select "New". You will be presented with a box and the next available file number. If this is the file number you wish to use, keep it. At "Type", open it and select "Timer" or any other type for that matter. Give the file a name if you wish and enter the number of elements (timers in this case) you wish it to have. This can be expanded later if needed. Click OK and you have a new file ready and waiting.

you can always create new datatable (offline) or resize existing one (up to 256 elements)... unless the plc memory is already all used up.

I THINK you can do this online if you switch the processor to PROGRAM mode with a 5/03. Then you can open up your timer data file and click "properties", change the number of elements, and then switch back to RUN mode. It might be faster than downloading.

I don't believe online table creating/resizing is possible in the SLC500

I usually find if a timer file is 50 in length then not all of the timers are used anyway.

But isn't it true he could simply increase the size of his T4 file to 256? The range for the SLC I believe is 9-256. Or he could add another timer file T(x) if he has less than 255 data files used? I believe to add a Data File you will have to download, but to increase the size of an existing file, like Okie said just go to program mode... Edited by Daniel Camacho

Another way to have timers, counters,ect. is to have a subroutine that isn`t called and put your (spare parts) in it. Now when you need a timer for online editting go to this subroutine and use these as you use out of this basket of spare parts refill it the next time you can. This stops that message can not create database online.

Greetings to all, this thread started off with a simple question: there are (at least) a couple of errors here ... first of all, during an online editing session you certainly CAN resize Data Table files ... specifically, you can add timers to file “T4” while you are online with the processor ... more specifically, you would not be required to do a subsequent download of a program which had been modified offline ... here the official “book” is wrong ... but don’t take my word for it ... try it yourself sometime with a spare PLC-5 processor ... going beyond just “resizing” Data Table files, you can even “create” new ones while you are online ... BUT ... you cannot do these “resizing” and “creating” operations while the processor is in either the “Run” or the “Remote Run” mode ... specifically, the PLC-5 processor must be in either the “Program” or the “Remote Program” mode in order to either “resize” or “create” a Data Table file ... next, during an online editing session you certainly CAN create or delete program (ladder) files ... specifically, you can add a new Ladder File while you are online with the processor ... or delete an old Ladder File that you no longer need ... here too the official “book” is wrong ... again, try it if you don’t believe it ... BUT ... you cannot do these online “creating” and “deleting” operations while the processor is in either the “Run” or the “Remote Run” mode ... specifically, the PLC-5 processor must be in either the “Program” or the “Remote Program” mode in order to either “create” or “delete” a Ladder Logic file ... and the last statement about “changing program file protection” is a little bit trickier ... the PLC-5 platform doesn’t really have “program file protection” in the same sense that the SLC platform does ... with the higher processors in the SLC platform (SLC-5/03, SLC-5/04, and SLC-5/05) you can set things up so that online editing of a particular Program (Ladder) File is not allowed ... the closest thing that the PLC-5 platform has to this feature is “Privileges” which can be applied to the individual Ladder Files ... and this particular PLC-5 feature can be applied both ONLINE - and - while in ANY mode (“Run” or “Remote Run” or “Program” or “Remote Program”) ... and so ... we started out with a simple question ... and with simple answers ... then we somehow wandered astray ... hopefully we’re back on track now and maybe we’ve learned a little bit in the process ... and since that’s what we’re all here for anyway, let’s be thankful for this time that we’ve shared together ... finally, as I’ve said before: if the simplest things don’t confuse you, then obviously you don’t know enough about them ... Edited by Ron Beaufort