Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest_rock

Sell used PLC, HMI etc

9 posts in this topic

Where would be a good site to try and sell used plc's or displays. have quite a few omron such as c28k, c40,c60 as well as some omron displays such as brand new nt20s still in box. I have checked ebay, but it seems like selling these items on ebay is almost like giving them away. thanks

If you LOG IN, you can try MrPLC.com I dunno what the response is, but it's FREE to try it. http://www.mrplc.com/ads/

You can find older PLCs on eBay. Availability will depend on who is selling. Other companies you may try are: Tek Supply PLC Center They predominantly offer repair services and sell refurbished products. Hope this helps. God Bless,

Ebay is the way to go!! Very active group of buyers and sellers there. Your items WILL sell at market value. No sense in screwing around with anything else.

I think Rock did. We made this comment: "I have checked ebay, but it seems like selling these items on ebay is almost like giving them away." I have to concur, I've tried selling stuff and you do have to pratically give it away. Industrial items don't give for much or not much of a market anywhere for used stuff. I couldn't buy used stuff to re-sell on a machine, that wouldn't be right.

I would have to agree that the market for used industrial controls is small. Most people buying are looking to do something around the house, or perhaps a small business owner, or maybe for some experimental non-critical application. In the "Real" automation world, the price difference between new and used is not worth the reliability trade off. Down time is the BIG expense. Who wants to have to explain that the reason the line is down is because you tried to save a couple of thousand dollars on hardware, when ever lost hour of producion cost the company 10's or 100's of thousands.

Yeah, my bad, I re-read the post and realized he had already visited ebay :) But the question is, (and this has been touched upon by some of the other replies as well), "what IS it worth?" True, used automation components do naturally go for much less than their "new, from automation distributor" counterparts. But, what that reflects to me is what you're really paying for when you buy from your local automation distributor. The price covers more than a certain number of electronic components soldered to a PC board. You're also paying for the expertise, support, and stocked warehouse that distributor/manufacturer provides you. I haven't researched this but I think you'd find that there would be more of a price differential for products that have local support in every major metro area (Of course A-B comes to mind), and there would be less of a difference for products that you would not expect to get local support from (Automation direct comes to mind). Not trying to knock anybody's products, and I might be totally off base in that comment. But I'll bet I'm right. And, hey, used automation has its place. There are plenty of "little guys" that just wouldn't have access to automated equipment if they had to buy everything at new prices. I have several customers in town that are perfectly happy with used SLC 500 and micrologix in their panels. I just tell them to make sure they have a spare on hand, just in case. Heck, I've got one guy that is totally sold on the SLC 100/150s I've been setting up for him. I don't use them because they're the best, I use them because I can get them for $20 on a good day, and they beat the you-know-what out of relays!

another option - Radwell International