Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Kindorf

Connecting a SLC5/04 to a PC with DH485

5 posts in this topic

I have a machine with a 5/04 processor that will not connect with a PC using the normal DF-1 connection through the serial port. The machine was built with a panelview connected to the serial port, so there may be an issue there. I just need to get the program downloaded so that I can reconfigure it , but being unable to use the serial port I need to connect through the DH+ port Short of using a variety of DH-485 link couplers and other hardware, has anyone used a 1747-pic, mabye with a little rewiring to supply 24V from the PLC, to connect to the CH1 485 port on the 5/04 through the PIC to a PC? ( Or any other ideas requiring a minimum of hardware?)

You cannot connect any DH-485 devices to Ch 1 of a 5/04; it is DH+ ONLY. If CH 0 is configured for DH-485, and you can disconnect the PanelView long enough to do what you need to do with the program, you can connect your pc to CH 0 using a null modem cable (1747-CP3) and configuring the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx. You will have to stop any DF1 drivers you already have configured in Linx to configure the PIC driver. If you are not able to disconnect the PV from CH 0, your only option is to install a 1784-PCMK DH+ card in your laptop so you can connect to CH 1.

My question was pretty much a 99% didn't think so, so I've pretty much already planned to pick up the card. Thanks...

Sorry a little off topic here... Your saying the 1747-CP3 cable is "null modem" then what would the 2711-NC13 be? Looking at the wiring diagram it (2711-NC13) is 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, 6-6, 7-7, 8-8, 9-9 Wouldn't this be null modem wiring? Because I can't get my CP3 to connect me with the PanelView directly where they recomend the 2711-NC13 for this purpose.... danielcamach0@yahoo.com.mx

No, null modem reverses pins 2 and 3. 2-3 3-2