Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kcor

Recover DM from Failed PLC

10 posts in this topic

If you have a plc such as a cqm1h, or a c200hs that is no longer operational, is it possible to take the memory card out of that plc and install it in a new plc, in order to retain the original data memory values?

Probably not as I think that the dm requires a battery to keep its data.... not 100% sure on that. but you could test it quite easyly .. take the new plc and write some data to the dm then turn the power off and pull the battery cable. leave it for a few days plug the battery back in and power up and see if the data is still there...

On smaller PLC's such as the CPM1A there is a capacitor in addition to the battery which will keep the data for about 5 minutes (to facilitate a battery change) I dont know if its the same for the CQM series, but I imagine this would be true. the only question is whether you can detach the memory and transfer it in time. If you are talking about memory that you have on the memory card (in the slot on front) then this should be movable between PLC's because its a flash based memory that does not require a battery.

Chris is right about the capacitor. it is there for when you change batterys. however I doubt that you will be able to remove it and replace it in under the req 5min and even if you do you will more than likely short out the capacitor thus wiping the memory anyway... I belive you are SOL Peace

Hey Guys, please... Ya'll are off on a tangent about micro plcs when Rock inquired about CQM1 or C200HS. The memory card is either an EEPROM or EPROM both of which are non-volatile memory. The issue is not whether he will lose the memory, but what type of memory he can transfer to a new unit. The memory card for CQM1/C200HS can hold the user program or hold all of the DM's, but it can't do both. Rock is going to have to decide which one he wants to retain.

I was wondering if it is possible to take a c200hs plc apart and if so, is there a memory card that you take out of it and place in another c200hs. We have a machine in Purto Rico, that the plc is used to control some stepper drives. They called and told me that there is power to the plc, but it will not power up, run, etc., they are going to take the defective plc out, and ship it to me. I have a copy of the plc program that is suppose to go back in, but not a copy of the values that stored in the dm area's. This is why I was wondering if it is possible to take the memory card etc., out and recover the dm values. This would save me quite a bit of work. thanks

Jay I am logging in, it says I am logged in , but then if i post, it still says guest_rock. I am at a lost as to why

I would bet that it is the power supply section rather than the CPU. Do you have another C200HS? If not, I bet you could ebay one for $50. Then swap internally the power supplies.

No, the plant in honduras purchased one from a web site called plccenter.com, they are suppose to ship it with it. I am suppose to get it next week. Thanks

If they bought from plccenter.com, I bet they paid 150%+ for it. PLCcenter is very greedy.