Craig McCanada

Omron NA5-NX1P2 - Password page

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a screen developed for supervisor access only but I would like to have an area to type in a password, and when the password is typed in correctly I'd like it to open a certain page. I'm not experienced with interactive text boxes or keypads etc. Is someone able to help me out determine what I need to do? Thanks 

Screenshot 2024-04-17 132550.png

The HMI already has a security system and if someone attempts to access a page that has security, it will prompt for a user name and password automatically.

You need to set security for a page, and then create the users and assign them the proper security levels.

1 person likes this

Depending on the specific security requirement, (and if the password needs to be hashed out when entering), you could use a popup screen with a data entry. The entry has to match a variable value in the PLC to enable the ok button, which then takes them to the screen.

That method is 'quick and dirty', and I primarily use it to protect screens/settings that the client can access, but they just want something there so people can't 'accidentally' go into the specific screen and start changing things. Pretty much just an elaborate "Are You Sure" before they can get to the screen :-)

If your situation requires proper security, then Crossbow's suggestion is the best way.

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, Crossbow said:

The HMI already has a security system and if someone attempts to access a page that has security, it will prompt for a user name and password automatically.

You need to set security for a page, and then create the users and assign them the proper security levels.

Ok, I think this is what I need but just to use on certain buttons now on the main operating screen. But just to make sure I got this right.. If I program a button with access Level 5, and someone tries to enable that button, it'll have a pop-up window to type in a Username and Password? Then only people with level 5 access can access that page?

Screenshot 2024-04-18 075522.png

Screenshot 2024-04-18 075652.png

Posted (edited)

On 4/17/2024 at 3:55 PM, Crossbow said:

This is not the behavior I've experienced. I've always had to add the "Login()" function to an object, event or sub routine. Is there a setting to make the login prompt automatic when attempting to access a secured object?

On 4/18/2024 at 7:57 AM, Craig McCanada said:

Ok, I think this is what I need but just to use on certain buttons now on the main operating screen. But just to make sure I got this right.. If I program a button with access Level 5, and someone tries to enable that button, it'll have a pop-up window to type in a Username and Password? Then only people with level 5 access can access that page?

Pending information I'm unaware of, the button with Level 5 security would be disabled before login. It would become enabled upon Login(). I do this with a separate button. Use a normal button then go to the Events and Actions tab and set the "Click" event to Login(). This will show the login prompt. You can additionally display the current logged on user via a Data Edit object. Set it for Text then use "_HMI_CurrentUserName" in the Expression.

Edited by IO_Rack
3 people like this

3 hours ago, IO_Rack said:

This is not the behavior I've experienced. I've always had to add the "Login()" function to an object, event or sub routine. Is there a setting to make the login prompt automatic when attempting to access a secured object?

Pending information I'm unaware of, the button with Level 5 security would be disabled before login. It would become enabled upon Login(). I do this with a separate button. Use a normal button then go to the Events and Actions tab and set the "Click" event to Login(). This will show the login prompt. You can additionally display the current logged on user via a Data Edit object set for Text then use "_HMI_CurrentUserName".

Aah, I see now. So, I created a button labelled "LOG IN" and set the event as a "Click" and action as "Login()", so the Supervisor can change some parameters with his Level 5 access. And I created a "Log Out" button with the action set to "Logout()" for when he's done. 

Thanks for the help guys! Much Appreciated.