Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

VFD Inventory Cycling

7 posts in this topic

So I have Two VFD in my store room, both are Three Phase 480 VAC @ 25 HP drives.

VFD #1 was bought in 2012 and still has it's factory seal intact.

VFD #2 was received from the manufacturer as "remanufactured" in 2022 and is still factory sealed also.

Now the questions?

1)     Which one would you pull to replace a drive that failed?

2)     Why did you choose the drive you did?

VFD #1 and do a firmware upgrade.  Because it truly has new components.

By the same token, VFD #2 was recently tested for working condition.

VFD#2 as after 10 years, VFD#1 might have been bought in 2012 - but may not be manuafactured in 2011 / 2012. I'd air on side of caution. VFD2# should have been through testing.

VFD#1 after firmware upgrade - as noted above and load test before putting it into full service. that's not a small motor.

D

If I had to install one immediately, I would go with VFD #2. After twelve years on the shelf, the bus capacitors in VFD #1 may need reforming.

I would also check the manufacturer's recommendation to see how long the capacitors can go without reforming and go through the process if necessary to make sure you have a viable spare.

1 person likes this

I would second what @Steve Bailey said, however if you have a bit of down time available, ideally I would get the "new" VFD capacitors reformed (assuming it is required) and then install it, solely because it is older. Depending on the exact scenario a firmware upgrade wouldn't hurt either, but if it is just a simple setup this may not be needed.

Can't tell if the VFD's are the same make and model, so I am making the assumption that the drives are different. In the next 5-15 years it would be possible that support/parts would become obsolete for the older VFD (or expensive with long lead times), so my thoughts would be to get it in service, so at least it gets some usefulness out of its life cycle. I would assume the 'remanufactured' VFD was new probably in the last 3 years or so, my understanding of these is they are typically refurbished after being replaced under warranty.

On 3/3/2024 at 6:32 PM, BE said:

Can't tell if the VFD's are the same make and model, so I am making the assumption that the drives are different. 

Three drives of the same model when purchased in 2012. 

VFD #0 went to the store room shelf in 2012 and onto the machine when VFD#2 failed in 2022.

VFD #1 went to the store room shelf in 2012 and is still there. 

VFD#2 was installed on the machine in 2012 and sent for refurbishment in 2022.

The refurbishment included a new Control Board, New Fans and New Output Module.

1 hour ago, BobLfoot said:

Three drives of the same model when purchased in 2012. 

Then I would second what Steve said, and my little speech about parts availability is irrelevant :-)