SillyBoy

Very long distance betwwen VFD and Motor

3 posts in this topic

Dear Team,

We are looking for a suggestion to drive a motor which is away about 2100 Meter from its starter.

The Pump is located in a pond in the forest which is 2000 Meters away from the nearest building.

The pump capacity is 55kW and we are considering 55kW HD VFD as a starter.

As we see the distance is much higher we are looking for you valuable suggestion about how this thing is gonna work without any abnormalities.

I think you're going to have trouble with that distance. Just as a reference, I pulled up the guidelines for Rockwell drives (because they're handy) and the max distance they support with filtering varies by size and series of drive but maxes out at 365m or so.
https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/drives-in001_-en-p.pdf

Your distance is almost 6 times longer than that. Definitely reach out to your drive manufacturer for guidance. You may end up having to build an enclosure near the pond for the drive.

1 person likes this

On 2/12/2024 at 3:45 AM, SillyBoy said:

The Pump is located in a pond in the forest which is 2000 Meters away from the nearest building.

The pump capacity is 55kW and we are considering 55kW HD VFD as a starter.

Just thinking out loud.  55KW at 480V is 101A.

using this calculator --> https://www.southwire.com/calculator-vdrop

I get the attached wire requirements.

The ides of a Starter Box near the pond makes sense.

You might even use a higher voltage feed to the Starter Box, a step down transformer to 480 and a Fiber Run to get network controls at the starter box.

Would be what I would try.

southwire.JPG

1 person likes this