Mr Rabbit

Problem creating module in RSlogix 5000

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

We are currently experiencing issues with our RSLogix 5000 software.

Whenever we attempt to add a module in our I/O Configuration, we encounter an error stating "couldn't create module."

Interestingly, when we perform the same action in Studio 5000, we face no issues and can add the module without any problems.

Is there something we can modify in our EDS file or any other suggestions from someone who has encountered a similar issue?

Thanks a lot!

error RSlogix5000.PNG

Are you sure that module is compatible with older Rockwell Software?  You should contact the supplier of the Add-on-Profile that placed the module in the selection list.

I've found that the best, easiest way to add modules is to physically install them, power up the chassis and any remote I/O, get online with the controller and use the Module Discovery feature.

If the modules are showing up on the catalog list, they're should be compatible with Allen Bradley controllers. But that doesn't mean that every Wago component is compatible with every AB controller. As @pturmel suggested above, I'd get my hands on any literature about the module you're trying to add and see if there's a compatibility issue or other restriction that's keeping you from adding that module to your particular configuration. 

If you are missing an EDS, check to see if you can upload the EDS directly from the module via RSLinx Classic. This can be done on most Allen Bradley controllers and communications modules, but I'm not sure about 3rd party modules.

I took a quick look at a couple of the WAGO Devices listed in your picture and they are Ethernet/IP and OPC UA devices.

Both of these technologies are relatively new compared to ethernet tcp and OPC DA that was common in the RSLOGIX era.

I suspect as pturmel says, your device isn't supported by the older PLC>

The Add on profile may not be compatible with the older controller, however there should be nothing stopping you from using a generic module and using the module this way.  

1 person likes this