SBOB

XML Export No Longer Supported?

8 posts in this topic

Hi

The company I work for is doing an Omron Sysmac Studio NJ PLC project for the first time. Our usual development for alternative PLCs like SE, AB or even older Omron via CX-Programmer allowed us to do some repetitive code development for things like device blocks by exporting a 'known' example code section and then bulk modifying or script creating variations of this and re-importing those code sections.

From our discussions with our local Omron support (Australia) we've been told the current Sysmac Studio does not support exporting xml of code sections any longer (was existing in earlier versions but no longer offered in 'newer' releases)

Does anyone have any useful tips on developing projects where would generally have large number of device type code sections, with the aim to consistently repeat device code sections/user defined function block layouts, apart from having to manually copy/paste/find-replace variable names ? 

Thanks for any tips or pointers you can offer

I've never seen XML export of code in Sysmac Studio.

There is a way to export your variables and their current values to XML, but nothing related to code that I am aware of.  There is a way to import code from another format, I forget which one that is.

If you open a project export with ZIP tool, there's a bunch of XML inside.  Ugly.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, pturmel said:

If you open a project export with ZIP tool, there's a bunch of XML inside.  Ugly.

yep lots of XML. Ugly and slow. Unfortunately this is the way a lot of IDE's are going.

17 hours ago, pturmel said:

Yeah if you look in a project folder for Sysmac Studio, it's the same... but none of those files are very useful, and certainly not named to be easy to follow.

Thanks for the responses.
Definitely puts a hurdle on development time/development consistency for Sysmac Studio projects where there's large portions of device replication, meaning we're unlikely to recommend them to any end users asking for advice. 

A lot of copy/paste looks to be the solution for this current jobs requirement though.

I just came across this topic as I was looking into it again now that I'm back working on a Omron project. It has an XML import on the tools menu but is greyed out (Version 1.54). Looking at the update notes there is this from version 1.50 which makes it sound like it's still there. It is the only mention of XML since introduced in version 1.30. Maybe there is an optional tool that needs installed or something?
I would reach out to your Omron rep if still interested.
https://www.ia.omron.com/product/tool/454/sysmac-studio/e1_doc.html

• Solved the problem that the IEC61131-10 XML Import function might not import an XML file when a comma (,) was used as a decimal point in the Windows Location settings.

On 12/21/2023 at 7:35 PM, SBOB said:

Thanks for the responses.
Definitely puts a hurdle on development time/development consistency for Sysmac Studio projects where there's large portions of device replication, meaning we're unlikely to recommend them to any end users asking for advice. 

A lot of copy/paste looks to be the solution for this current jobs requirement though.

There are options in Studio that allow you to inherit information from one project to another.  I personally have never used them, but that should allow you to make a master project and then make new projects by selecting parts of that master project.  I asked around, nobody has ever heard of an EXPORT function for XML, only the IMPORT from the IEC XML type.