Craig McCanada

Omron NA5, NX & Zebra ZD421T (Ethernet)

5 posts in this topic

Good afternoon,

I've done a bit of research in regards to running a Zebra printer via ethernet from an Omron PLC but there's not much info out there.

Has anyone had much success printing barcodes to a Zebra printer from PLC via ethernet?

I'm using an Omron NA5 (HMI) which I've designed to displays 12 different buttons indicating different barcodes, but I'm unsure how to link these buttons to the specific barcode files that I've created in Zebra Designer.. Would anyone know how I might be able to accomplish this?

The buttons on the HMI are typically used to update variables in the attached PLC.  The PLC could then send a message over Ethernet to the printer.  Do you know what protocols are supported by the Zebra printer?  You didn't provide model info on the PLC or the printer, so hard to say what might work.

The printer supports serial, usb, wifi and ethernet. But I will be using Ethernet.

PLC = Omron NX1P2

HMI = Omron NA5

Printer = Zebra ZD421T (desktop printer with ethernet module)

Ethernet is a cable, not a protocol.  What methods does it offer to communicate over Ethernet?

On 10/25/2023 at 11:04 AM, Craig McCanada said:

The printer supports serial, usb, wifi and ethernet. But I will be using Ethernet.

PLC = Omron NX1P2

HMI = Omron NA5

Printer = Zebra ZD421T (desktop printer with ethernet module)

Looks like you'll be using socket communications and embedding the barcode contents in the strings you send over. There are a few ways to do it, lots of documentation on the Zebra site for it. You'll probably want to use something like Putty at first to get the formatting and commands all sorted out and then duplicate that with the socket functions in the PLC.