spur341

Which Windows OS to use for RSLogix 5000 V13.03.00?

6 posts in this topic

I have some older RSLogix 5000 software I would like to run on a newer Dell 64bit laptop. It's RSLogix 5000 V13.03.00. I can buy a full Windows license for an older Windows OS and not connect to the internet. What OS was my RSLogix 5000 software originally designed for? Was V13 a 32bit software?

Edited by spur341
Add information

I would use a 32 bit Windows XP Virtual Machine. I've read stories of folks successfully getting ancient programs to work on newer PCs, but in my experience things work better if your OS reasonably close to the software.

I have that version running on a 32-bit Windows7 VM.

Joe E. and pturmel, thanks for the messages. I dug through some of my old software and found both Windows XP and Windows 7. I'll read up on VMs. Thanks again.

1 hour ago, spur341 said:

Joe E. and pturmel, thanks for the messages. I dug through some of my old software and found both Windows XP and Windows 7. I'll read up on VMs. Thanks again.

If you're running Windows10 Professional or Enterprise you should have Hyper-V VM Manager by default.  It will run the RSLogix but be a hassle doing plc conconnection thru USB or serial.  For usb and serial I'd reccommend VMWare.

On 10/11/2023 at 2:04 AM, BobLfoot said:

If you're running Windows10 Professional or Enterprise you should have Hyper-V VM Manager by default.  It will run the RSLogix but be a hassle doing plc conconnection thru USB or serial.  For usb and serial I'd reccommend VMWare.

Thanks very much for the tip.