Lipton

EtherCAT Splitbox with FSoE and Omron?

7 posts in this topic

Hi

We are searching for a EtherCAT splitbox with safe digital inputs that is compatible with Omron NX.

for a example a hardware like this one https://www.beckhoff.com/en-en/products/automation/twinsafe/twinsafe-hardware/ep1908-0002.html

has anyone successfully connected this type of hardware to the omron ethercat network ? 

/Best Regards 

brave_eauzVse864.png

Edited by Lipton

It should work fine on Omron EtherCAT once you import the ESI file.

Omron has similar units for CIP Safety.

@Crossbow Imported the ESI file from beckhoff's webpage and Sysmac did not like it :( "The ESI file is not supported by Sysmac studio"

is there another FSoE hardware we can try ? 

SysmacStudio_H8kVQ4Tfkq.png

In general - 3rd party anything works great with Omron - except FSoE..

If you want to stick with FSoE get an Omron EtherCAT coupler and some safety IO slices. If you can do CIP safety (NX102 & NX-SL5X) then there are many remote IO options.

There is already a EtherCAT network on the machine it would be very naturally and streamline to collect safe signals with decentralized I/O with hardware like above, would be very easy install.

Tried to load another FSoE device this time a safety scanner from sick and it seems that Omron is not compatible with this one either... :(

https://www.sick.com/us/en/catalog/products/safety/safety-laser-scanners/microscan3/mics3-abaz55en1p01/p/p660215?tab=detail

We don't want to pull another data cable on the machine when there is already one EtherCAT network that we can take advantage of and use one communication system for both control and safety data.

is there a list of FSoE devices that Omron are compatible with?

Lipton,

A few years back I was right where you are trying to get Beckhoff Safety EP modules to work with Omron. I ended up trying to get EtherCAT FSoE safety modules from several different vendors to work with Omron with no luck. Closest i could get was some that would actually load the ESi and allow me to put the device on the EtherCAT network but they would not show up in the NX-SL Safety PLC. Would only allow me to use them as standard inputs or outputs in the Main PLC.

One option is to pass the I/O from the Remote modules into the Safety controller via Exposed variables and then use them in the Safety program. But then they are just working as standard safety Inputs and you paying extra for the EP safety module when you could just buy the standard I/O version of the EP modules.

as @photovoltaic said, if you want third party remote I/O modules to work directly in the Omron Safety controller you would need to use CIP safety modules with the NX-SL5 safety PLC or drop in an ECC module with Omron Safety modules.

Thanks for the info @Str8jCkt we can relate to the pain :), Must say that it sucks that when using a Omron safety controller we don't have the benefits that Fail safe over EtherCAT provide, Example is

• Reduced and Simplified Wiring
  • Flexibility of Safety Functions
  • Scalability
  • Cost Savings

FSoE is an open standard, ensuring compatibility and interoperability among different manufacturers' safety devices except for Omron they are conservative with closed minds!

Sadly we need to rethink if Omron is the right platform to use for our machines. 

Combine this safety slaves below with the Omron controller would be very streamlined and easy install for us machines builders. 

list is taken from https://www.ethercat.org/en/technology.html

brave_V3BOUtXfiA.thumb.png.e8aef595504f2

Edited by Lipton