Splitboard

Multiple Migration Design Question

4 posts in this topic

I need to Migrate 10 micro logics 1100/1400s. They are all in the same room but in different cabinets. Changing any wiring would be expensive and not an option. They all have small projects and have between 0 and 30 I/O each. The processes are critical and can not shut down or be unreliable in any way.

Option one:

Micro 800s and CCW.   I realize this is the straight forward answer but my customer hates CCW and may refuse this.

Option two:

Install one nice modern controller to replace all of them and use remote I/O.

This is my first instinct but I am worried about these critical processes now depending on Ethernet networking to function, I doubt the customer wants to pay for network upgrades.

Option three:

Multiple compact logics i.e. L306s

To me this is nice, but overkill and expensive.

Any better option?

Open to opinions 

Edited by Splitboard

I'd lean towards option 2, with a new panel for just that processor, and no I/O there.  With a UPS for the controller and a new ethernet switch just for the PLCs in the room.  Then remote I/O to replace each micro.  The remote I/O doesn't have to AB, either.  Anything with EtherNet/IP support will run great, and might have better supply chain options.

I concur with @pturmel that option 2 is the best approach.  

I would however be sure and run your connection count calculations for the I/O to the processor.

There is a slim chance that you might want multiple ethernet cards in the Host Rack. I'm thinking one card for Programming and Scada Access, one card for five stations and another card for five stations.

You'll also want to consider using Ethernet Ring with all its bells and whistles for maximum uptime.

You also might consider two CPU in the Host Rack and configure for redundancy.  Obviously the cost goes up, but so does the stability.

Buy a stack of new MicroLogix 1400's and plan to keep the processes running indefinitely.

If your processes are critical and cannot have downtime, and your client won't even pay for network cabling, leave the control system alone.