Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ByteBuster

Comm. between SLC 500, 1747 SN and pv550

12 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I´m trying to configure commucation between SLC500 5/03 and a PV500 using a 1747 SN Scanner card (RIO), in this application my all remote I/Os are already used and I need to send a value to show up at the PV550, so , how can I configure the PLC and PV550 to use a N or F word? Remember my all Remote I/Os(O:s/17 up to O:s/23 and all inputs) are used.

If you have a 1747 SN series B scanner card you can set up a block transfer, otherwise with a series A I believe you are limited to just using the discrete addressing. Here is an example using the series B card.. http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...79?OpenDocument JJ

Thank you for while, I`m using a 1747 SN series B, but, at the SLC 500, the options BTR and BTW are not enable, I think the problem is my CPU version, (1747 L532 Series D). Have someone other idea?

Have you looked in the manual for the 1747 module?? You can also use COP instructions as virtual block transfers. It is more complicated but is an option that should work for you.. Take a look at the manual..... http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...=&id=423299a017 JJ

If your firmware isn't new enough to support the BTR/BTW instructions, you can flash upgrade the processor. You have to request a firmware upgrade chip from A-B to do this. And believe it or not.. (Are you sitting down??) It is FREE!!!!

You can purchase an operating system upgrade thru your AB distributor and upgrade the CPU's OS to OS 302 Series C, then you can use the BTR/BTW instructions. The OS upgrade comes on an EEPROM and you place jumper J4(?) to PROGRAM and it will load the upgrade. Will definitely be cheaper than purchasing a new CPU, and probably cheaper than all the time you will spend configureing and de-bugging block transfers using the COP method.

gravitar, you beat me to the punch! And free is definitley cheaper!

I believe you can use the M1 and MO files as appose using BTR/BTW. Are the free flashes via software now? I remembered that the old way requires placing a chip on the procesor, changing a jumper, and powering it up to load the new firmware.

Believe it or not guys, in this particular instance, it is FREE. I couldn't believe it myself, but I've got the upgrade kits to prove it. In fact, they're a bit naive in the way they hand them out.. One firmware chip can do as many upgrades as you want. BUT.. they only include 5 stickers in the kit.. So, they ask you how many processors you've got, divide by 5, and give you that many kits! Actually this isn't without precedent.. You've been able to flash upgrade panelviews for some time now. Only with the panelviews, there are hardware differences among the different series that prevent the older ones from having the newer ones' full functionality. As far as I know of, you can take ANY SLC 500 processor and flash it up to today's capabilities. The P/N is 1747-OS302 for the 5/03, 1747-OS401 for the 5/04. (And there's probably a 1747-OS50x for the 5/05) I don't know if there's some special way to process it in PASSPORT, but your A-B salesman will handle those kind of details for you anyway. What you get is a module that looks identical to the backup EEPROM module. It plugs into the memory socket. You power down, put the module in the socket, move the write/protect jumper (as shown on the processor's i.d. sticker), put it in the rack, and power up. After a brief light show, you power back down and pull the module, then move the jumper back. It's that easy. Oh.. don't forget to backup your program first because it'll be gone when you power back up!

Thank you lot guys, I`ll contact my local distributor and make request to upgrade my CPU OS 302 series B for series C. Firetubes, you were right about the M0/M1 files, I was trying to use that, but the configuration is too much complicated, I spent almost 2 days working over that and I couldn`t do it work well... By the way, thanks.

The firmware upgrades for SLC-5/0x controllers are a chargeable item. If you encounter a bug, which in the SLC family are few and far between, you might be sent a no-charge firmware upgrade. But if you just want a new feature (like the BTW/BTR instructions), then the upgrade is chargeable. I presume that Gravitar's situation was unusual. SLC-5/03 and 5/04 use the EEPROM plugs. SLC-5/05 uses ControlFlash. I enjoy the simplicity of the BTR and BTW instructions enough that I'd rather pay for the firmware upgrade than wade through the old way. The old buffer-managment method isn't too hard if you pay attention, but it's not a five-minute job like the BTR/BTW are.

I Agree with you Jon about the BTR/BTW ,is quite easy to use these instructions, but I´m working with one of the oldest machine that we have in our mill, and I´m not confortable to work with M0/M1 files, as I said, I spent a couple days trying to configure and my discrete I/Os at the 1747 SN are already used. If you have some exemple with this kind of files, please let know, but I think I will decide to update my system. Thanks for while!!