Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
308guru

Replacing an Omron Sysmac Pro16 Display

9 posts in this topic

I need to replace an Omron Sysmac Pro16 Display on a machine. I've got a new display brand new in the box. I've never worked with Omron before so I have a few questions. -Does the display itself need to be programmed in any way or can I just swap it out and turn the power back on? I see that it has a key and a switch to change between programming, run, etc. Is this used so that you can program through the display or is this somehow related to programming the display itself? Thanks!!

Are you talking about the display module (the LCD) of the pro 16 or the whole pro 16 (the programming console)? I couldn't find the manual for pro 16, but this pro 27 I have can't be programmed in anyway. All you can do with it is program the PLC, start stop the PLC and check the status of different memory locations and i/o. Unless your system currently shows for example some INPUT's status on it's screen, then you don't have to do anything, and even in that case all you need to do is to write down what it displays and make the new one do the same. It's just a few key presses. I do wonder though, the manual doesn't say anything, but my console has mic and ear connectors. I wonder what they are for. HeHe found it. They can be connected to a cassette recorder, so you can save the program on a cassette. As a sidenote, the support of omron seems to get worse and worse. I'm talking about their websites, not phone or email. How hard can it be to know what your dang company has manufactured and make the dang manuals available. Edited by JouniK

The Omron Sysmac S6 PLC was released in 1973 and obsoleted in 1987. Parts were maintained until 1995. We are talking ancient in terms of PLCs. The PRO16 programming console comes on ebay regularly. Try there. Here is the manual: Sysmac S6 Operation Manual @ MrPLC,com

The programming console (Pro16) does not contain the control program, the PLC (S6) does. The PLC will function with or without the Pro16 attached. Yes, you can just swap it out and turn the power back on. BTW... As Jay mentioned, the S6 is way more than obsolete, they are indeed ancient. You should look at replacing them. Edited by Jay Anthony

Thanks for the help and advise. I know that it is ancient and has definitly put in it's time. I will be making a new machine in the future so I'm trying to nurse this one along. I'm only replacing the programming console because the current one has a burned out line in the lcd. I am doing some testing where I have to record values that are displayed on the screen. It's hard to tell the difference between a 0 and 8 without the line right down the middle. I'm just going to power down and swap it out. Thanks!

If you have a new pro 16, just plug it in, no programming is needed.

Thank you for the replies. I replaced it the other day and all went well!

When You do decide to upgrade your PLC let me know. We still have 2 of them in service and I'd like to get some spare parts

There were three S6 CPU's on ebay yesterday.