Plcmy

Sysmac Studio Simulation of TcpIp Server

5 posts in this topic

I want to test Tcp/IP application using omron studio simulation. What I have done:

1. Create function block for a server using sktTcpcreate

2. Set up the IP address of the built-in ethernet IP

3. No physical plc, I want to test just with simulation environment of sysmac studio

4. Ping with CMD prompt but fail

5. Attempt to connect to the server with third party software Hercules, but fail

Assumption: sysmac studio cannot simulate a built in ethernet IP application?

Sysmac simulation doesn't communicate with anything in the outside world

1 person likes this

On 3/19/2022 at 10:50 PM, photovoltaic said:

Sysmac simulation doesn't communicate with anything in the outside world

On 3/19/2022 at 9:25 PM, Plcmy said:

I want to test Tcp/IP application using omron studio simulation. What I have done:

1. Create function block for a server using sktTcpcreate

2. Set up the IP address of the built-in ethernet IP

3. No physical plc, I want to test just with simulation environment of sysmac studio

4. Ping with CMD prompt but fail

5. Attempt to connect to the server with third party software Hercules, but fail

Assumption: sysmac studio cannot simulate a built in ethernet IP application?

I am not sure if its using TCP/IP,   FINS,  or another protocol. (Still trying to find out myself.)  But i was able to communicate with the simulator running on one PC from another running a custom Windows application through use of OMRON DLLs.   See attached screenshot of connection setting used for the DLL function.  It seems that 127.0.0.1 is the default simulator IP but i am not sure of the port being used. (Seems ambiguated in the DLL.)  

I am also in the process of trying to use TCP/IP communications but it seems writing the code to do these comms from scratch would be a huge pain, rather than using OMRON provided communication DLLs. 

I was under the same impression that the simulator cant communicate out, But after doing this experiment, The Simulator CAN communicate to the outside.

Simulator IP.png

42 minutes ago, FLAutomation said:

The Simulator CAN communicate to the outside.

I would not expect most people to consider a localhost-only connection to be the "outside world".

1 hour ago, pturmel said:

I would not expect most people to consider a localhost-only connection to be the "outside world".

I am mistaken, I just talked to a different person in support and this is a part of Sysmac Gateway / Compolet software. However, It can communicate Simulator and PLCs to external PC / Network. Theres an option in the functions to communicate specifically to simulator vs physical PLC.  (IsSimulated? BOOL)