mscriven

PanelView 550: how to download program?

11 posts in this topic

PLC rookie here. We have an old tubing end former we’re trying to get running. I’m able to download program to SLC 5/03. Was hoping to download file to PV w/ flash card, but we don’t have a computer that it can plug into.Can I download file to panelview through the cable?

PV #: 2711-B5A2, SER F, REV C, FRN 3.01

I have a 1747-PIC converter I used to try to connect to PV but it didn’t work. Quite possible I’m not doing it correctly.

I attached picture of PLC stuff if that helps. What are the 2 modules on the left? I believe the far left cable goes to the PV.

I just wanted to let you know where i stand. I'll gladly answer any question you have to try to fix this thing.

Thanks.

Marty

plc.jpg

That model PV does indeed only have an DH485 port, to be used both to connect to the PLC and to connect to a PC for application transfer.  Should be possible even while PC, PLC, and PV are all hooked together through AICs shown.  Do make sure each device has its own station number.  The PLC is typically station #1.

If all else fails, you might get it programmed through a memory card.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711-um014_-en-p.pdf

Thx for replay. I don't know exactly how to proceed. I tried connecting the 1747-PIC converter at the PV, and at the back into the 2nd module. And in RSLinx i'm using the configuration in picture, and using the auto configure button. This works to connect to PLC.

The PV has 2 ports, see picture. I tried connecting to the one on the left, while leaving the other plugged in. Documentation says the 1747 converter needs external power, and it sounds like leaving the right cable plugged in would do that. The right cable appears to go back to the cabinet.

So, question is how to use RSLinx to connect to PV.

And if i do get connected, can i us RSLogix 500 to download .pva file? I'm guessing i can't. What software out there can i use?

Thx again.

IMG_20220309_141303644.jpg

IMG_20220309_141553957.jpg

Based on the first picture you posted you have the following equipment left to right.

1747-AIC 

1747-AIC

SLC POWER SUPPLY

SLC 5/03 CPU

According to the page one drawing here - https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1747-in062_-mu-p.pdf

the left AIC connects its peripheral to your panelview

the right AIC connects its CPU port to the 5/03 CPU

plugging the cp10 cable into the right AIC should let you see both pv and slc

1 person likes this

Change the RSLix station number to something larger (but <=31) just in case.

Webpage i found suggested using 1747-PIC driver. Gives me error. My RSLinx is version 2.5. Should i look for different version?

Thx.

IMG_20220310_151158819.jpg.c3f12205eed59

what is your windows version.  the 1747-pic stopped working somewhere before win10 IIRC.

For win10 you'll need a 1747-UIC

Yeah, thx. I've seen that.

Found info that points to Windows XP service pack 3 causing problems with drivers. Unfortunately, laptop i'm using can't be rolled back to SP2. So, for the moment i'm stuck.

Thx to all for your help w/ this.

You're correct, the PIC last worked with Windows XP SP2. SP3 breaks the serial port driver. The PIC also only works with a native serial port. Virtual COM ports (USB adapters) do not work with it. If your laptop doesn't have a built in COM port, you're out of luck.

Your best bet is a UIC device. The AB one works but is expensive. A good aftermarket alternative that I've had great results from is this one:
https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1747-uic-usb-to-dh485-usb-version-1747-pic-slc-500/