Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skyfox

SYSMAC - ECAT Slave config missing icon

5 posts in this topic

NX1P2 PLC

I have imported two ESI files from two different vendors in to Sysmac Studio. Both show question marks where there should have been a device Icon. I don't really care as I believe this has no bearing on functionality. I can see the I/O data I was expecting to see from both devices. Just curious. Where does the ICON image come from? Is there another file that needs to be imported besides the ESI file?

Ecat.png.a46ea95f0dcfc0cc57cfdd704a29843

Edited by skyfox

I think the icon is embedded in the text of the XML file.  Don't know, maybe the original vendor didn't include it?

1 hour ago, Crossbow said:

I think the icon is embedded in the text of the XML file.  Don't know, maybe the original vendor didn't include it?

That is what I thought. I am not exactly sure how it was done with an EDS file in the AB world. It always worked, so I never dug in to it to figure out how it worked. The two files that I am working with are for devices that are custom branded (they have the customer's PN# on the devices instead of the manufacture's PN#) for a specific company, by two different major manufactures. Other than that, these two vendors supplies these same exact devices to all of their other customers with manufactures PN#.

Older EDS files specified the name of separate icon file that was expected to be in the same folder or a common folder.  Somewhere along the way, it became possible to include the icon right in the EDS with base-64 encoding.

I have no idea how ESI files work (yet).

7 hours ago, pturmel said:

Older EDS files specified the name of separate icon file that was expected to be in the same folder or a common folder.  Somewhere along the way, it became possible to include the icon right in the EDS with base-64 encoding.

I have no idea how ESI files work (yet).

You are correct, I remember the icon files for older EDS.