jtdem7045

Studio 5000 Issue changing Controller Type

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am trying to use a program for a 5069-L306ER PLC, and transfer it to a 1769-L16ER-BB1B PLC.  I realize that if I do this modifications may have to be made.  The issue that I am running in to is that when I go to Controller Properties > Change Controller, then select the Type dropdown menu, I am not able to see an option for 1769-L16ER-BB1B.  Strangely enough, when I create a new project, and go through the same process, I am able to select both the 1769-L16ER-BB1B and 5069-L306ER.

I would hate to write a new project from scratch.  If I am unable to change to different controller, is it possible to copy and paste the code and tags from one project to another?

I am using Studio 5000 Logix Designer v32.03

Edited by jtdem7045

with the 5069-l306er program open and a new 1769-l15er-bb1b project also open you can copy / paste between the two.  You can also export from one and import into another with the l5k format.

The ranges of compatible firmware is different for these processors--they are a generation apart.  You didn't say, but your L306ER is probably on a firmware rev that isn't available for the L16ER.  I would export an empty L16 as L5K, export your current L306 as L5K, then cut and paste the types and tags and programs as Bob suggests.

Most of the time when I'm changing processor type (not just firmware version), I create a new project with the new processor and copy-paste the I/O, then the controller-scoped tags, then the programs. Then fix the errors (if any).

I was surprised once how easy it was to convert an older CompactLogix (serial port only) to a remote rack of a ControlLogix with an -AENT adapter. I did what I described above: added the -AENT and IO to the ControlLogix IO tree, then copied everything over. Once It was copied over, I had to re-alias the IO tags, but there were only like 5 IO modules so that didn't take long at all. The whole process took like 30 minutes, including swapping the hardware (replacing CPU with -AENT) and setting its IP address.

The  5069-L306ER will only go down to V29.

The 1769-L16ER is compatible with V20 through V32.

Flash the 1769 to match the 5069, then download your project.

1 person likes this