lamboom

Is there a RS232 Digital IO module stand-alone out there?

16 posts in this topic

I need a Red Lion HMI to communicate with an IO module (8) IO's ... I don't really need a PLC.  Because the control of a certain LinMot drive for a linear motor can be activated by IO's.  This LinMot drive can store up to 100 curves... which can simply be called into operation by a single binary number between 0 & 255,  defined by eight IO's ..  you input the number on the HMI, the HMI converts to binary and set the (8) IO's in the module which sends the binary number to the LinMot drive..  

Yes, there are some other IO's for starting and stopping ... and it may be unrealistic for me to not use a PLC.   I'm trying to get the cost way down...    If a "stand-alone" IO module does not exist... then is there a simple, low budget PLC out there, with 8 or 16 IO's available..?    Thanks much, Michael

Maybe, it's a big world out there, but I doubt it.

Typical serial I/O modules use either a defined proprietary protocol or use Modbus.

The Advantech Adam 4050 has 8 DO's but only part of the message written is the bit pattern for which bit is on or off.  The protocol uses ASCII characrters, with this syntacx (for that specific module) [delimiter character][address][command][data][checksum] [carriage return].

That series of I/O modules does not have RS-232, they use RS-485, so you'd have to use an RS-232/485 converter, or use the Red Lion RS-485 port.

1 person likes this

Thanks, DanW ...  I've been doing some research.. for stand-alone IO modules.  They are out there ... alone... but not really ... somewhere there is a programable controller talking to them.  Ideally, I should connect directly to the HMI ...  The HMI I'm using is a legacy G304K20U .. with only RS232 for communication & control.   I'll research the Advantech Adam 4050.

Thanks again for the info .. will come back with what I find :-)

PS: have a lot of experience with the larger G3 HMI series & Crimson 2 and 3 ... I'm just trying something very small and simple.. something to do during the Pandemic... :-) 

DanW

That looks real good!  ... I don't see any DB9 connector?.. it all looks like terminal connections ..  The manual is large enough!   Still looking at it...

Edited by lamboom

how about this:

https://www.ipses.com/eng/Products/I-O-Cards/IO-1616

or

https://www.rugged-circuits.com/24v-industrial/24v-industrial-shield

includes internal schematics, Arduino sketch etc.

this has RS232 interface but it it TTL level (meant to connect directly to Arduino or Raspberry PI).

arduino has USB interface that allows RS232 communication. for conventional RS232 levels (which is what you will need if using DB9), there is tons of adapters like 

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/mikroelektronika/MIKROE-222/1471-1148-ND/4495513?_ga=2.204610704.181724041.1595024159-1398544828.1593526220&_gac=1.142339718.1595192338.EAIaIQobChMI57igupra6gIVhL7ICh1DWAuYEAQYBCABEgKYFPD_BwE

or 

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/dfrobot/DFR0077/DFR0077-ND/7597122

i would let Arduino talk to I/O board so that I2C communication is taken care of, then just add another RS232 interface with mentioned DB9 adapter and make your own protocol - as simple or complicated as your HMI or whatever supports.

1 person likes this

Thanks,   panic mode and a062549  

I will research all you suggest...   Especially you a062549 .. because you already are using something like the ADAM 4050 by Aventech ..(suggested by DanW ) I do need the Kadet to receive DI's .. I don't think Crimson 2 (G304K000) will work as well as the newer G304K200 series using Crimson 3 ...  'Tho both are discontinued and are replaced with seriously better units.. CR1000 series.  I'm not in a big hurry ... I guess it will take about a month or so to get the Modules.  I do like the DIN rail connector on the back :-)  .. The price is great!    Isn't the only way to connect to the Red lLon Kadets via RS232.?.. or are you talking about the CR1000  (do they call that a Kadet too...?

Panic Mode:  I wish I was as smart enough to do what you suggest .. I never got into Arduino, but I do know Siemens, Red Lion, LinMot systems, Omron Nj systems and Delta Motion controllers... and, that's about it !   :-)      I'm very limited with automation electronics   .. it's all about one project;

https://www.microoceans.com/

Now trying to make it "very" simple.. 

PS:  sorry I didn't reply sooner... didn't get a notice that you guys posted to my question...  I must have missed selecting a "click here to get email notifications of posts "

Edited by lamboom

What kind of application are you working on? If you really want to drive the cost down, why not ditch the HMI entirely and go with electric control instead? A couple of dip switches, a 24V power supply and some push buttons may do the trick...

From your original post it seems like you only use the HMI to input a numeric value between 0 and 255, and if you want to forego using a PLC you probably aren't monitoring any other IO anyway/

Zamora ... Thanks for the reply... You are quite right ... but, it's kinda a challenge for me.  If it's possible to use the HMI... I would like to do it.  I did acquire a Kadet G304K200 .. which has RS232 and RS422/485 and TCP/.IP ethernet  It does use ASCII Modbus .. and Red Lion does have a driver for some ADAM modules... (The 4050 is not listed in the list... but, that's just because it isn't verified)   Advantech doesn't know much about Red Lion (The make their own HMI after all... :-)

The Red Lion G3 series ('tho discontinuing) ... is real good at interfacing with many PLC/CPU Motion Controllers out there.  I just need a little tutorial on mapping the ADAM's registers to the HMI's tags... How hard could it be ... :-)

I'm sorry I'm late responding to your post ... I failed to click something that would notify me when anyone posts on this thread... DUH

On 7/20/2020 at 6:52 PM, a062549 said:

Those look great.  The price is amazingly low, compared to ADAM     You said you use these with a Kadet (Crimson 1 or C2?)  It's the Red Lion driver I need to find.. or some simple tutorial on the mapping of the Kadet's tags with the WellPro Modules .. specifically the I/O module... that's all i need ... don't need no stinkin' PLC/CPU  the Red Lion can do what I need (so can some toggle switches... but that would be too easy.

Do you know of any info (tutorials) from WellPro RS232 or RS422/485 or Ethernet TCP/IP   The Kadet G304K200 is a little more advanced that the G304K000 (Red Lion support doesn't think I should try that last one.       Regards, Michael

Zamora   .. PS:   Actually I do want to monitor some DO's from the LinMot driver... like "Home",  "Error acknowledged"  "in Position"   I think there are about 5 status DO's that would be nice to have on the screen.

😐
On 7/19/2020 at 11:45 AM, DanW said:

The Advantech Adam 4050 has 8 DO's but only part of the message written is the bit pattern for which bit is on or off.  The protocol uses ASCII characters, with this syntax (for that specific module) [delimiter character][address][command][data][checksum] [carriage return].

That series of I/O modules does not have RS-232, they use RS-485, so you'd have to use an RS-232/485 converter, or use the Red Lion RS-485 port.

Thanks DanW .... Yup.. I got a ADAM 4520.. (converts RS232 to RS485)   ... Did that when I acquired a G304K000 (which has only RE232.... then I found a used G304K200 .. which has lots of good ports: RS232, RS422/485 and Ethernet ... This is going to be more fun than anyone ought to be allowed to have!

1 person likes this

On 7/20/2020 at 6:52 PM, a062549 said:

My computer would let me log on to their site.. said it was dangerous in the extreme!  Thanks for the info.. looks a lot like ADAM modules

I'll just throw in my 2 cents.  IF you're not stuck on a RedLion HMI then you might want to look at Proface HMI.  It comes with the option of an on board Digital I/O and even the ability to be a PLC of sorts.  I used a model PFXGM4201TAD @ 425/ea on a recent project.  It served as a data gateway between a modbus modicon and a rockwell controllogix and drove an operator andon stacklight.

1 person likes this

Sounds like a great idea BobLfoot ... But, I am stuck on the Red Lion... Just cause I have one.. :-)     I may have to write a conversion program in "C"  (Red Lion uses something like C for running programs with the data that is entered .. Red Lions are a lot like PLC's   .. but... I have no idea what the Kadet (discontinued) model G304K200 can do...   I'll post the results.

PS:  I believe the new Red Lion Graphite series HMI has modules that plug into the back of the unit.. including a D/IO module...   This project does not merit such an expense.

Edited by lamboom

🤨
On 7/19/2020 at 11:45 AM, DanW said:

Typical serial I/O modules use either a defined proprietary protocol or use Modbus.

The Advantech Adam 4050 has 8 DO's but only part of the message written is the bit pattern for which bit is on or off.  The protocol uses ASCII characrters, with this syntacx (for that specific module) [delimiter character][address][command][data][checksum] [carriage return].

Thanks again DanW  I'm sorry if I didn't mention it before, It took a short while for Red Lion support (the best) to understand what I was asking...  Sometimes when nubies ask questions.. the experts think way beyond what is troubling us.. I was only concerned with how the HMI was going to convert a base 10 number entered on the screen to binary, and then map the 8 bits that would define that number in the ADAM 4050 Remote D/IO module.. which would control the LinMot 1100-GP  Linear motor Drive ... that uses D/IO for all functions of operation...

Red Lion does have the drivers for ADAM modules.. and can use Modbus or whatever is required to make this work.  The HMI's I'm using are a bit out of date and discontinued... But.. they will work... :-)  Without the converter... as you say use the Red Lion's RS-485 port.