Ramkumar

Extracting digits from a string

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

Could anyone help me out on how to extract the digits present in a string in sysmac studio...

Thanks in advance !!!

By digits, do you mean characters?  

Numbers?  A string is made up of ASCII characters.  If your string was:

'ABC12345'

Do you want to extract the number 3 (for example) from the string, or do you want to know the HEX number for that character, which is 33 Hex?

I want to extract 12345 in to  another variable. If the string is ABC123CED , we want to extract 123 from that

I don't think that i am quite understanding what you are trying to do, if you want to extract 123 from a string, the answer is just 123.  I have used your example however to provide code that will search one string for 123 and then extract 123 from the string and store it in a variable.  The last rung will check to make sure that the string returned matches the string that was searched for, confirming that the string was indeed found.  If nothing else, you will see how these instructions function and they can help you to solve your problem.

Stringfind.jpg.eea10296713fbe78f3c077468

HI Michael, thanks for the support ! 

I want the numbers in a string to be extracted to another variable.

e.g.1. M1e2s3h4 is the string now 1234 should be extracted to another variable.

e.g.2. M123esh -> 123

e.g.3. Mes12h4 -> 124 

Your request keeps changing.

So it looks like your string is variable. Is that correct?

Where is this string coming from? Is this an external device? Do you have the manual?

Are there rules for the string format? For example:  Do you want to extract numbers only and discard all letters? If so, will this rule apply to all possibilities?

Edited by IO_Rack

Right..the string is a variable. The string comes from the NB-HMI. There are no rules for the string format. It could be "174Mesh" or "Mesh174" . I want to extract the numbers and use it for further processing. In my initial request, i mentioned as "digits" instead of "numbers", by mistake. I apologize for that.

Ok,  so you want to extract all the numeral characters from the string and list them in order of appearance.  Try this in an Inline structured Text block:

FoundNumbers:=''; //make the result string blank, or this will keep growing and growing

FOR Index:=1 TO 100 BY 1 DO; //This is for a 100 character string
    FoundChar:='';//makes FoundChar blank
    FoundChar:=MID(StringToSearch,UINT#1,Index); //extracts one character at a time
    StringGreater:=GEascii(FoundChar,'0'); //Checks to see if the character is >= 0
    StringLessThan:=LEascii(FoundChar,'9'); //Checks to see if the character is <= 9
    IF StringGreater AND StringLessThan THEN;  //if >=0 and <=9, then it is a number
        FoundNumbers:=CONCAT(FoundNumbers,FoundChar); //add number to result string
    END_IF;
END_FOR;

Here is a picture if it is easier to visualize:

STString.thumb.jpg.0bb5521386fc39cd63625

Here are the data types of all the variables:

Name

StringToSearch       string[100]            False    False    
Index                        UINT                       False    False    
FoundChar              String[2]               False    False     This technically only has to be a length of 2 (one for the character and one for a null character).
StringGreater         BOOL                      False    False    
StringLessThan     BOOL                      False    False    
FoundNumbers    STRING[100]          False    False    

Adding this little bit of code in yellow will make the For...Next loop only execute as many times as there are characters in the string to search:

efficient.jpg.b5a69caa6b96635653fa8a0a2a

Note the index only counted to 7 as there are 6 characters in the string and it had to increment one more time to find the NULL character.