Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Noigel

Whose leading the industry?

8 posts in this topic

I'm a teacher whose looking to expand out from Allen-Bradley into other types of PLCs. I understand that Allen-Bradley is a widely known company and I'm looking for their major competitors. What's your thoughts? Omron? GE? Who's the top three contenders here?

add modecon to that and you have the list as I see it those 4 round out at the top.

Depending on the part of the world, the list varies drastically. In Europe, Siemens is big. In Southeast Asia, it's Omron or Mitsubishi. In the US it's AB and Modicon. In some parts of the US Mitsubishi is big, in others Siemens has a good foothold, but the big ones for US are as you mentioned.

Thanks for the views and opinions. I think I'll try to direct our expansion towards Omron and Modicon.

Of the people who visit MrPLC. Here is what they said: http://www.mrplc.com/cgi-bin/vote/vcenter....=show&topic=plc

If I where to sell some equipments everywhere in the world and needed to develop 3 programs for different PLCs in order give my customers option where they would not have to ask for another choice... my 3 PLCs would be AB (SLC-5/03) Siemens (S7-300) Mitsubishi (Q02H) Other brands owuld do but they would be my prefered choices.

Noigel, As an employee of Entertron, I can state that we have had a number of schools use our controllers as their teaching hardware for PLCs. I can also state that of the 6000 downloads of our software per year, 10-20% are either students or professionals wanting to learn how to program a PLC. Those that have chosen to use our hardware like that it is a nonenclosed design, allowing the students to observe the components. With our software, we offer unlimited run licenses. We have professors that have their students download our software for their class, so they have their own copy. It tends to make teaching much easier and save the school a great deal of money in software licenses. If you have any questions, you can contact me directly. Hope this helps. God Bless,

Is Modicon still even in the ballgame? I don't hear about many new projects using their products anymore..