Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Chia

Connecting a Physical Switch to CJ1M

6 posts in this topic

hello i am having problem in connecting a switch without an LED connected as an output. I was given 3 switches, each switch has 3 wires. one is Normally Open, Normally Close and one COM wire. If i want to connect all 3 switches to CJ1M ID211, do i connect all 3 switches' COM wire to the screw terminal "com"? or each "com" screw terminal can only connect with 1 switch's COM wire? if its not any of the above then how can i connect to the I/O module correctly? Thank You very much.

More info is needed on your switch. Made by whom? Part number?

Output???? Id211 is an input card. You would normally connect your power supply to the common and then the normally open or normally closed to the input. You need to check whether the common on the switch can be + or - and then compare that to the common on the input card. If the common on the switch is +, the common on the input card needs to be - to give you a voltage differential. There are details about connections in the manuals.

If the switch is a two-position with the labels NO, NC, COM, then it's a simple connector switch. In the relaxed or off state, the switch is open (no current flowing). In the triggered or on state, the switch goes from NO to NC (current flowing through). For about 99 percent of the dumb switches in the world, it doesn't matter which way the current flows. I would hook up the common to my voltage source, and the NO to three input terminals on the plc (just like what BobB said). As a side note, unlike a dumb switch, some relays require voltage to be applied to one side (and the common to the other) to trigger. I hope that makes sense...it's Wednesday and I was out drinking last night Tig

Ok I figure a Pic is worth it so here it is if you follow that you should come out alright. just remember to hook up the com or - side of your 24vdc source to the com and the posititive side to eather the NC or NO and then the com of the switch to the input on the card. (this is if you have a regular switch with no electronics.)

Thanx a lot guys...sorry i am very new to this hardware. i will try out the methods u given to me. thanx once again.